Play violent video games? You might handle pain better

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Here's an odd one. Researchers have surmised that those who play violent video games have a 65% higher tolerance for pain. The study was conducted at Keele University in the UK, and people were subjected to putting their hands in ice-cold water after playing different types of games for 10 minutes.

Now, the reason I didn't make this a news post instead of a forum post is that I find it kind of unrealistic. If you're playing any game that gets the adrenaline pumping, then that's going to warm up your body more than a game of Peggle is going to. If your hands are warmer than another's, chances are you will be able to handle the ice cold water just a but longer - not because they are warm, but because they are not in a normal state to begin with, perhaps even a bit numb.

Or, I could be way off. What do you guys think? I'm just happy to have earned a new excuse for playing violent video games.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mes-GOOD-They-increase-tolerance-pain-65.html

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
Unlike you, I need NO excuse to play violent video games.

*continues picking off the glass and metal from my skin from the bus that ran me over

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Endorphin releases, dopamine, adrenaline, all get released. Violent video games have nothing to do with it, it's about fun and physical stress. You'd get the same kick from a long run... or a roller-coaster, or indeed, sex. Did they check the pain response of sex? Might find it comparable or better than 'violence'. That means sex makes you violent and prone to video games, right? Also, playing more games makes you more resistant to pain, so you seek more of it right? So video games makes you masochistic sex fiends prone to violence. Better wash it down with a stiff drink. Then you become an alcoholic, masochistic, violent sex fiend. Better break out the driving games...

Oh DailyMail... I have nothing else to say...