Picking out a 30-inch monitor is truly a chore!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
LOL....That's one heck of a busy DT you got going on there. I used to use a second display when I was doing that type of work. It kept the data a little ways away from the charts I was working on, ..............:)

I get confused to easy with everything side-by-side, something to do with my meds I think................;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I doubt that... for most people, I believe a multi-display setup would be better. I just happen to like having everything on a single screen, and that can easily be done with such a massive resolution.

In order for me to enjoy a multi-display setup, two larger monitors would be required, such as two 24-inches, since I want a lot of desktop space, rather than two separate desktops. But at that point, I think dual 24-inches would be even more overwhelming than a single 30-inch.

moon111

Coastermaker
I'm just impressed with the comment "I need to purchase a 30-inch model"

For someone who just upgraded from a 15" crt that's insane. LOL

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I don't see how anyone could use a small display like that anymore..........LOL

I don't see how my wife uses her 19" LCD, guess I'm just to used to a larger wide screen.

A 30" would be nice to have, but I can't put in the "need to have" list yet, but I'm sure that will come down the road............;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I don't necessarily need a 30-inch for personal things. At that size, it's more of a luxury than an actual need, since for most people, dual or triple monitors would better suit them and cost even less.

I need a 30-inch primarily for the 2560x1600 resolution for our benchmarking. Even though most people will not run that resolution, it's good to REALLY push GPUs to their limit and see what they can muster. As 30" displays will become more popular, it kind of future-proofs things that way.

I do believe that 30" displays will become more common as we go along. Dell's 3007WFP-HC costs around $1,300, and while not entirely inexpensive, it's really reasonable when you think of what it delivers. I wouldn't be surprised to see some 30" models hit $1,000 sometime this year, although it's hard to predict. Right now, even if prices don't go down, the products themselves keep getting better.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Ture, more and more sites (larger ones) are testing on 30" displays these days, that's for sure.

The common display size has been increasing with every new generation of displays and video cards, at least it seems that way to me. It wasn't but 2 years ago a 19" standard was the display to have, then within a year it jumped to 20"- 22" wide screens and now everyone is jumping on the 24" WS standard. Give it another year or so and we'll be up to the point where everyone will be gaming on 30"s.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You are right.. the transition has been fast. Before the ASUS 20" at 1680x1050, I was still using 1280x1024 and was pleased with it. Now I'm pleased with 1920x1200 and wouldn't want to go lower.

We get greedier as time goes on ;-)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I see most people going to the 28 inch display for half the price of the 30 inch display.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Most of the folks I know are talking the middle field as well, right now they are looking at the 26"-28" range.

For right now I'm still content with 24", but I'm sure that's going to change if I ever get the chance to play on a 28" - 30" for any length of time.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I bet that most 28" displays that cost half of what a 30" do are rather lackluster (at least, they would be in my opinion). The reason 30" cost so much more is because much more expensive panels must be used. Unless of course you found a 28" monitor that offered 2560x1600, then I'll put my foot in my mouth.

It all depends what you need, also. 30" displays offer the highest current resolution, while 28" monitors have not. And while 1920x1200 on a 24" is ideal, seeing that same resolution on a 28" would be ugly (thanks to a larger pixel width).

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I Still Want one

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I Still Want one

Well, I wouldn't turn one down if someone offed me one either.................:D

Want and needs are 2 completely different ships sailing in different directions.................:eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Want and needs are 2 completely different ships sailing in different directions.................:eek:

You said it brother!

Just a note, I received the monitor on Tuesday and haven't regretted my decision, that's for sure. I received a slightly newer revision, although I'm not sure what the differences are.

However, one thing I will mention is that this display does have some backlight-bleeding (top-left and top-right corners), which I kind of hate. It's obviously unnoticeable unless the background is completely black, but I could notice it quite easily during a movie and it was kind of annoying.

Picture quality and color is identical though, so I'm sure it's the same panel. It's all a matter of luck I guess!