Pick me some cans!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I have a word of advice for anybody reading this: if you have small children, find a way to route your cords so they are tucked away. Children seem to be drawn to cords like a moth to a flame and they are rarely gentle with what they find at the other end.

Such was the fate of my old headset. They were average in terms of construction and had gimmicky force feedback but gave a buzzing sound when turned on and were extremely weak when putting out bass without it. They were what they were and served me pretty well for over 2 years.

Alas the time has come ot move on and pick up a new set up cups. My price range is $50 +/-$5 Canadian with shipping and taxes included. That doesn't leave a lot of room to play with and I really am not that big of an audio nut to worry about whether or not the treble is a touch too tinny although I do like clear, quality music, movies and games.

Here are the contenders:

1. Plantronics GameCom 367 - closed ear, big, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think they look great. The mic also folds up out of the way and becomes part of the head band.

2. Plantronics GameCom 377 - open ear, with the same look as the 367. This set would probably help me keep tabs on my son if he wakes up through the night because it wouldn't block out all noise. This set has the same mic setup as the 367. Both Plantronics models come in at a few bucks under $50 with taxes and shipping.

3. SteelSeries 4H - not quite as big but certainly well within the size that I would like since I'm 6'3" and would like something to cover most if not all of my ear. This is the most expensive of the group at $53 and change.

Of course I am open to comments on the ones listed or any other models that the rest of you tech monkies use but keep the budget in mind. I really cannot go above it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Always tricky looking for headphones, the last time I went looking was about 3-4 years ago, and I spent 2-3 weeks searching, looking and reading reviews. It mostly comes down to what are you after, and what are you willing to compromise on.

- Closed Vs. Open -
Closed cans usually produce louder (but not always better) bass, as well as provide passive noise cancelling. Limitations include that of comfort, since the extra bass can cause fatigue. Open provides more accurate sound at the expense of lower frequencies, but the sound can often be overheard by others and vice versa, you can hear them.

- Jack Vs. USB -
If you go for a headset or a 5/7.1 solutions, then there is a good chance it'll use a USB connector (or 2). USB is convenient, since it's only one or 2 cables to plug in, but the big limitation is that it will bypass your PC's discrete audio if you have any, like a Xonar or X-Fi. So you will be relying on the sound quality of the integrated controller, removing CPU offloading and any special effects like EAX will be software rendered or ignored. If you are already using an integrated audio card/chip, like a Realtek HD, then the sound quality difference will not be that substantial. Jacks on the other hand allow you appreciate the joys of a dedicated sound card and take full advantage of CPU offloading (higher FPS) and audio processing, if you are using integrated audio, it won't make a huge difference. The big limitation of course is all the wires to contend with, but if you are using stereo, that'll be cut down. 1 wire for stereo, 3 for 5.1, 4 for 7.1 + 1 for Mic, and sometimes a USB for power (some have preamps rather than just a signal processor)

- Stereo Vs. Surround -
When it comes to headphones, I personally wouldn't touch surround with a barge pole, it's either done through 'special effects' that seriously detract from the sound quality (although useful for creating a virtual centre speaker), or they use tiny tiny speakers that sound like your listening to the world 2ft away from a hooded teen on a bus with his iPod or Mobile blaring away. Maybe they allow you to hear where gun fire or foot steps come from, but I'm usually too busy cringing at the poor sound quality trying to figure out if what I heard was a footstep of gunfire (hard to tell the difference when it's all tin). But it all comes down to choice in the end.

- Size of Drivers -
Not the software kind, but the audio kind, the actual size of the membrane surface and accompanying magnets. 40mm is standard for stereo, if you can get 50mm, go for it. Neodymium or ferrite cores, go for neodymium (stronger field, better audio).

- On Vs. Over ear -
On ear or Supra-aural headphones are often cheaper and lightweight, but can put excessive pressure on the ear, making them very uncomfortable. I haven't come across a pair yet that i have found comfortable, but up to you on that. Over ear or Circumaural headphones are bigger, but tend to be more comfortable, providing the headband and the padding can even out the pressure.

Ok, so with all that in mind, what are you after? lol

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Hehehe.

I'm leaning towards open ear because my son sometimes isn't quite able to make it through the night without waking up and just needs to be reassured that we are still here. Up until now I have had to play with one cup on and one off.

USB or 3.5 doesn't matter to me. I'll probably go with your standard jacks - one for the mic and one for sound.

Stereo for sure. You're not fooling me with surround marketing jargon!

40-50mm is fine.

Certainly over ear.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
You after a headset (one with an integrated mic) rather than just a pair of headphones?

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Correct. I suppose I should have thought about the thread title a little bit more. The original post has been edit a wee bit so people will know just what I'm looking for.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
me after good headsets with awesome sound quality(i have no idea what that is though) and give me complete immersion into whatever i'm doing, gaming or HD movies! :)

i dont like stereo headsets anymore after using the G35! they sound blunt!

i love my G35s though! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I have read good things about the G35's but sadly they are well out of my price range. As usual I'm looking for the best for the least.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Might I suggest a cheap pair of Senns. I also have had success with the Steel Series cans. They show their build quality over time but I got almost 3 years out of mine before I finally donated them to the garbage.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I would have suggested the Mionix Keid 20, but they are very expensive over in the US and CA, but cheap over here in the UK (Mionix is a Swedish company). They lack bass, but otherwise fine.

There are the SpeedLink Medusa NX stereo's, sound quality is good, but some complaints about build quality and creaking plastic heard over the mic when moved.

The 3 that you singled out in your first post are also all good choices. You're not going to find outstanding quality at this price point to be fair, they all have some compromise somewhere, but otherwise, any will do. Your best bet is to find a place that has them, try them on and see if they're comfortable, or buy online and send them back if you don't like them.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Might I suggest a cheap pair of Senns. I also have had success with the Steel Series cans. They show their build quality over time but I got almost 3 years out of mine before I finally donated them to the garbage.
I had looked into them but the only ones that come in under budget are the 131's and they have mixed reviews. The SteelSeries seem like they might be the winner but it'll be a few weeks before I can place the other so keep those suggestions coming.
I would have suggested the Mionix Keid 20, but they are very expensive over in the US and CA, but cheap over here in the UK (Mionix is a Swedish company). They lack bass, but otherwise fine.
Maybe I should get you send a set over the pond. ;)

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Maybe I should get you send a set over the pond. ;)

Lol, They're £35 here, which is about $50.... but then you have about £20-£30 delivery to CA, so you're talking $80-$90, which is basically what they sell for in CA, lol.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I wish I could help with the choices here. I'm such an audio noob, and when I do look at cans to consider, they tend to be non-gamer models and a tad on the higher-end side. We really need to amp up our content around headsets...

Optix said:
Children seem to be drawn to cords like a moth to a flame and they are rarely gentle with what they find at the other end.

I can add cats to that list as well.

Good idea on the open as well... I guess those do have that kind of purpose. I love closed because the sound seems to be a bit deeper, and when I'm on a plane I can listen to my iPod full blast and the person sitting next to me has no idea.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
High end isn't something I can really go with but I'd love to try a Triton set. I'm not sure why but I love the look of them and the reviews seem pretty good.

More headset reviews would be sweet. There are some newer names like Ozone that I'd like to see reviewed. Everything from budget to audiophile.

Looks like I'll go for the 377's unless a killer deal pops up.