Physical Game Mediums

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
I have a little frustration to get off my chest. As a pretty avid PC gamer since I received my first copy of Tomb Raider 2 I've always enjoyed opening a new PC game. It must have been the flashy packaging from Tomb Raider that got me, with the large box and fold up flap on the front displaying the game in all its glory.

I was disappointed when games started coming in a DVD style case in later years, but it was understandable considering price saving and saving paper waste. But I've noticed a larger amount of download only games hitting the market, and it has been bothering me that I can't get some games on a disc anymore.

I have been a big fan of Serious Sam since the first one, and when BFE was announced, I couldn't wait. But when I go to buy it, I notice its download only! This aggrevates me for a few reasons. First, I buy most games on Amazon. I usually wait a few months, or a year sometimes depending on the game, to get the game at a lower price. I've picked up practically brand new games for $30-$40 cheaper than retail. But now I had 2 choices: pick up a console or download it from Steam. I didn't want the console version, nor did I want to download it. I did find though that for some reason they produced a UK version on DVD. Why would they market the DVD version in the UK but not down here? I did order it from Amazon, I've heard that the UK version games are identical to the US, minus the rating.

Just had to rant over it, but this happened with Silent Hill 5 and I'm a big fan of Silent Hill and have yet to buy it because Steam wants $40 for it and its been out for a few years! What is with publishers releasing a game on DVD in other countries but not down here? I should just go with the times as it seems more and more games will abandon the discs soon.

marfig

No ROM battery
Digital Distribution has been the bane of me too. But there's nothing we can do about it it seems. Like you, I prefer physical copies and browsing retail stores. In fact, even Amazon is nothing compared to the pleasure of moving between aisles in stores.

Digital distribution alleviated some of the production costs of computer games and the industry was quick to embrace it. Because consumers also adhered to it en masse, we the minorities got screwed. It needs to be said however that without digital distribution we would not have experienced the indie boom of the past 10 years.

I think that in the long run, digital distribution will bring more harm than good. Through it, and because of it, it became possible for companies to explore other business models exploiting the typical game consumerism of a market dominated by middle class teenagers and young adults. It's because of digital distribution that concepts such as DLCs or Always Online were born. I suspect newer and ever more damaging concepts will come about in the future. Notwithstanding the obvious benefits of digital distribution in areas such as price deals or basic convenience, this distribution model is very malleable, benefiting companies market engineering attempts.

My recent incursions into mega stores and witnessing the closing down of quite a few gaming stores in my area, it is becoming obvious retail gaming is coming to an end. I have no doubt we will miss it.

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
You hit the nail on the head there, there are obvious repercussions of eliminating the physical medium such as job loss. Even console gamers will see less options for buying discs in the next console generation. I agree about the benefit of digital distribution of indie games. I honestly wouldn't waste my time buying a disc for a game like Trine, even though they do have a disc for such a game.

But it still confounds me that a DVD version of some games are offered in other countries, but not the US. 3 examples I've come across are Sonic: Generations, Serious Sam BFE and Ninja Blade. I ordered a copy of Deus Ex HR and the merchant sent me the UK version. I sent it back as I wanted the US version, but it was odd that the UK version was going for cheaper than the US version. But why? Why offer DVD versions in the UK but not the US? Is our PC gaming market that much smaller than in other countries?

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Even console gamers will see less options for buying discs in the next console generation.

You mean possibly no options. I mean the PSP Go and the Vita, nothing. Sony had announced intentions years ago before the PSP Go even came out to make the PS4 discless. Not that it will be for sure but.

marfig

No ROM battery
There's some consolation to be had from discless consoles (look, I did a funny!). Disc readers have been traditionally the single most prominent point of failure on all consoles and its the largest source of console RMAs around the globe.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't know why you'd get a physical copy of a game on UK but not on USA. Much less how a game is more expensive in USA than in the UK. I'm an European and I'm still at shock by this last revelation.

Last edited:

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
Meanwhile, I wouldn't know why you'd get a physical copy of a game on UK but not on USA. Much less how a game is more expensive in USA than in the UK. I'm an European and I'm still at shock by this last revelation.

In theory I spend more money to get this game until April 30th (as SSBFE is on sale for $14 until then) then it goes back up to $39.99. I spend $33 with shipping for the UK version. This was my only option to have a physical copy.