Phone Tripod mount for Video Blogging? Look no further.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
So the photography was a tiny bit better today. Still a bit rushed as usual but the main challenge was balancing between getting a white background and not blowing out the shiny portions of the bracket.

Rather than buy a 100 dollar pocket camera to record my videos I wanted to give my cell phone a go. Most of the bracket's to adapt a phone to a tripod are old and geared toward smaller phones. Rather than risk not being able to use it or the plastic being flimsy I went with this little gem. The i.Trek SUPER MOUNT F which is carried in the US by Semons. Available in Gray or Gold as well as a long handle version is available.

I was very concerned when I ordered if the clamp would go all the way down. It does and will work with the thinnest phones on the market. There is rubber material within the grip to protect the phone. However smudge marks are a reality. The maximum phone size is advertised as less than or equal to 15mm. I checked this with a digital caliper and it appears to open to 17mm leaving 16 a possibility.

Important note: Rubber can interfere with a capacitive touch screens operation, one of the reasons they make stylus' for phones with such a material. As I have just found out you will need to add paper or tissue or something to insulate the screen if your mounting it over the screen.

I picked it up on Amazon for less than 14 dollars and metal versus plastic is probably no argument for the price. I will mostly use it for video but there are other possibilities.

The advertisements for this clue you in on creative uses such as watching videos attached to something with a gorilla pod. But I found without even clamping it down its good for watching video:
DSC_1383-1.jpg

Rob asked about my last shot of the screen on and i mentioned another technique using a combination of flash and timed exposure and there it is. Blowing out the background with a single (low power) strobe is not possible due to the aperture setting making the timed screen exposure possible. Definite improvement over last time but still room for me to improve. The image used by the phone to represent one of Lindsey Stirlings videos was a little blown out but my photograph is a bit more blown.

Got to love the overkill of my Italian Stallion holding up that wee little phone.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, I am going to have to admit something... I laughed out loud when I saw the SII mounted atop the Manfrotto! I'd never imagine someone to use a phone of any sort for real photography, but it sure does fit well there.

That said, this product is as amazing as it is simple. I am not sure I have a use for something like this yet, but I will be considering it whenever I do get upgraded to a new phone. I can't seem to see it on the back of the box... but how heavy is it? I might also be missing something, but how is it remaining affixed to your tripod? From the picture it almost looks like it was designed for it.

Also, you've had your phone for a week now, how does it still look brand new? ;-)

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Alright, I am going to have to admit something... I laughed out loud when I saw the SII mounted atop the Manfrotto! I'd never imagine someone to use a phone of any sort for real photography, but it sure does fit well there.

Well some fool just shot an entire feature film with a Nokia N8 so.... lol They had a camera lens modified by removing some elements and then disabling the Nokia's ability to autofocus. Film is called Olive.

I can't seem to see it on the back of the box... but how heavy is it? I might also be missing something, but how is it remaining affixed to your tripod? From the picture it almost looks like it was designed for it.

According to the scale we measure our cocaine with it's 40.12 grams :p so 1.41 ounces.

Im not sure what you mean there is a tripod screw on the bottom :confused: but as far as the tripod goes the heads release plate is very flush with the latch so it is not visible at other angles I see it in this one.

Also, you've had your phone for a week now, how does it still look brand new? ;-)

Rubber case around the outside normally and the invisible shield. The only wear the phone should show is that the shield gets crap sticking to the edge and it gets worse by the day.

Sadly armed with a cloth and can of air I still cant keep dust off it long enough to take a picture.

Last edited:

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I like ... I just bought. Thanks!

Well I did not notice it day 1, but I've just noticed one little problem. Rubber is actually compatible with capacitive touch screens and if you have to use it over the phone screen it can be an issue.

Tiny piece of tissue fixes it but what an awesome flaw.....adding this to my write up now. Maybe we indeed need to look further. I am fine with it anyways.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well some fool just shot an entire feature film with a Nokia N8 so.... lol They had a camera lens modified by removing some elements and then disabling the Nokia's ability to autofocus. Film is called Olive.

You ever see this?

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-slr-mount/

Im not sure what you mean there is a tripod screw on the bottom :confused:

Doh... I somehow didn't even see that :-/

Well I did not notice it day 1, but I've just noticed one little problem. Rubber is actually compatible with capacitive touch screens and if you have to use it over the phone screen it can be an issue.

Ouch, that could be a bit of a problem. I'd hate for the mount to text message my family to rat me out on things. *note to self: never bring mini-mount to parties*

RainMotorsports

Partition Master

Unfortunately.

Shooting with the Galaxy S2 has been a mixed bag. Even with 700 watts worth of light provided by CFL's it just seems like not enough (400 direct with reflectors and 300 ambient off the ceiling. Ive been wanting to use 105 watt (400 watt equiv) bulbs but they are 25 bucks a pop.

Most of my videos have come out at "30 fps" but it does seem to be hit and miss. Not sure why under the same lighting it sometimes goes to 24 (indoor mode) but it might be the amount of light when i start the shot (me in front of the phone).

The lack of manual white balance sampling is making post processing a must. Lamps are 2700K balanced so shooting incandescent for a decent result but still want to correct in post.

Adobe Premiere does not like the audio source so sync is an issue. Easily fixed but its horsecrap that an 800 dollar piece of software can not handle something windows movie make can without extra steps in my work flow.

Its great for a cell cam but this and the Pentax K-r dSLR footage have me not even wanting to start my youtube channel....