Phenom

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, I lost video on the other machine, I tried resetting the CMOS several times. And tried two other video cards and still a black screen.
It boots up with no warning beeps.
So what I thought was to try out the AMD Phenom CPU.
There are some really good reviews going out there on the cache 3 at a higher transfer rate.
For 319.00 USD I can change out the board and CPU on the AMD2 6000+, and M2N32 Asus board.
Thats the one I had the CoolIt Freezone setup for AMD.
So the replacements are:
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz @ 229.00
ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD @ 89.99
Maybe I can Ubuntu on that machine.....just to play with

Unless anyone has any idea about the black screen on the present machine ( I'm thinking it's the PCIe slots ) and not the CPU...but I was going to update the processor anyway.

Merlin

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Its just to hard for me to get excited about the lack of performance of the Phenoms let alone spending money on one. If you're going to buy a new MoBo and CPU anyways, you might as well get yourself another Intel system, you can do it for about the same price (maybe a little more) and have much better performance.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Its just to hard for me to get excited about the lack of performance of the Phenoms let alone spending money on one. If you're going to buy a new MoBo and CPU anyways, you might as well get yourself another Intel system, you can do it for about the same price (maybe a little more) and have much better performance.
Still thinking about it.....I won 500.00 in lottery scratch-offs today and may just go back to Intel

Merlin $$

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I have to agree with sbrehm. There is no true reason to go with AMD right now, as sad as it is.

It's been proven (not by us) that Phenom lacks in overall performance in almost every test when compared to Intel's offering. Then taking overclocking into consideration... Phenom doesn't stand a chance.

As for Linux, anything you buy should run fine on it, since most of the newer chipsets are well supported.