PCs are bloated

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This is the reason that there is the PC decrapifier. Yes, thats an actual program. Stupid add on software.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, add-on software is foolish. I fail to believe that it actually makes our purchases cheaper. Technically it's advertising... our laptops should cost less. On the Lamborghini VX2, there is a link in the Windows startup page that shows a "NIS Trial" and I am not even sure it could be removed.

That aside, that commercial made me laugh hard, I admit it. Just looking at the guy.. and how he can hardly move. Marketing at it's best.

MacMan

Partition Master
PC is so Cute!

Yeah, add-on software is foolish. I fail to believe that it actually makes our purchases cheaper. Technically it's advertising... our laptops should cost less. On the Lamborghini VX2, there is a link in the Windows startup page that shows a "NIS Trial" and I am not even sure it could be removed.

That aside, that commercial made me laugh hard, I admit it. Just looking at the guy.. and how he can hardly move. Marketing at it's best.

The Apple ads by Chiat Day are really great, but strangely, they make me, like a lot of people, symphathize with John Hogin's, the PC nerd.

He looks so cute, fat or otherwise. I recently downloaded his audio book, a $33.00 offering on iTunes (It was the daily freebie that day! :)) and he is also a great writer. He's really very intelligent and the two of them are making a fortune off of Apple. I forget the price, but if my memory is correct it is something like two or three-million bucks for the season. Wow, now that is what I call a great part-time job!

Apple would have done far better to use him to symbolize the Mac and the other guy, who isn't very cute or adorable, as the PC.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No doubt more people like the PC guy far more.. he's lovable. For the lack of better words, the Mac guy comes off as a complete smarmy bastard. He is not what makes the commercials at all... it's all John.

moon111

Coastermaker
I've always though of Macs as computers for girls. Maybe it's the white colour theme? I'd have to wrap it up in black leather then use a picture of flaming skulls and naked babes for my wallpaper.

MacMan

Partition Master
Macs are the real machines!

No doubt more people like the PC guy far more.. he's lovable. For the lack of better words, the Mac guy comes off as a complete smarmy bastard. He is not what makes the commercials at all... it's all John.

The only way that you can compare a Mac to a girl is that both can be sooooo... sexy! Most of what people do with computers first came from the Mac. Examples:

First successful GUI; first commercial use of mice; first 3.5 inch mini disks; first use of Blue-Tooth and WIWI; first 32 and 64-bit OS’S; Macs pioneered CD and DVD’s; first laser printers (mass produced); first 3D desktops(Beryl, XGL and Vista are all ripped off of OSX;) and on and on the list goes.

Apple alias ripped off and renamed short cuts by Microsoft; drop-down menu’s; first widgets, gadgets; first 24-bit color, when Windows was still 256 colors; first ink jet printers; first video and mpegs (Quicktime. Mpegs are based on the Quicktime audio component); first TV on a computer; first really easy access computer cases (after Apple’s ‘El Capitan cases), first FireWire, etc., and I could still go on.

Why, even simple things like the trash on the desktop, all from the Mac. Of course, the first computer virus was also an Apple thing. I’m even amazed at how Linux and Vista copies OSX Aqua (Aero is another rip off) desktop like pics, you know, they have the swirl lines running through them.

Of course, in the past, you could buy black Macs, and today you can customize them that way. Watch, after Leopard OSX comes out in October ,every other computer will be copying it.

As Time magazine said recently regarding Apple’s 30th. Anniversary; Apple success can be summed up this way, virtually all computer systems are in reality, Mac clones. They all copy the Mac’s interface (Beryl and XGL are really cloned) and this helps to explain why Apple has been voted, for five years running, the most innovative company on the planet.

Look at the iPhone, it has the whole industry on the edge. The iPod has lots of competition, but none can seem to kill it off. Microsoft said it hopes to sell one-million Zunes in its first year; about the same as Apple sells every eight to nine days!

Macs girly, nah, your computer regardless of what it runs, gets its heritage from the Mac. Its the software that makes a Mac, and the truth is, its only on a Mac. :)

moon111

Coastermaker
Just HP outsells Mac by more then 7.5 times. OS X is a pretty good piece of software, which only has one major flaw, market-share. I don't see the need for Apple hardware. Give me OS X with PC hardware prices and I'd be happy.

MacMan

Partition Master
I second that!

Just HP outsells Mac by more then 7.5 times. OS X is a pretty good piece of software, which only has one major flaw, market-share. I don't see the need for Apple hardware. Give me OS X with PC hardware prices and I'd be happy.

I second that. Even though no one seems to be able to out design Apple box's, the OS is the jewel.

As sexy as Apple box's look, I don't want to have to pay a premium for a sexy box. A few bucks premium for OSX no problem, but I would take a home-built, power-house, and much cheaper box any old day, just as long as it ran the Unix-based OSX OS! :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
As sexy as Apple box's look, I don't want to have to pay a premium for a sexy box. A few bucks premium for OSX no problem, but I would take a home-built, power-house, and much cheaper box any old day, just as long as it ran the Unix-based OSX OS! :)

True enough! Last January at CES, Rob and I were talking with someone who had purchased Mac notebook and installed XP on it. My reaction was one of WTF? I seems silly to me to purchase a notebook for looks alone, but then again, it was a sharp looking XP book.