PC Problem

mishule2000

Obliviot
Hi all!

i have a problem with my pc...so when i want to shut it down, the hard drive shuts down but the monitor isn't and it still displays the "shutting down" message. in this time the hard drive restarts and shuts down and i am afraid that this problem will destroy my hdd.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Generally I'd say no and you'd kick yourself if you wiped and reloaded to see that it was still happening.

mishule2000

Obliviot
I'll try reinstalling the system see if it works.
a friend of mine told me that is a windows problem and to try to apply the autopatcher but...nothing happened :(

madmat

Soup Nazi
Well, my mobo for some odd ass reason has decided to not release the power on signal to my PSU, now to shut down it'll do the "Windblows is shutting down" screen then BSOD and I have to shut the PSU off to kill it. Reboots are no problem since the PSU never powers off but shutdown is totally different.

mishule2000

Obliviot
the same problem when I try to reboot, sorry I forgot to mention.

I'm, pretty upset because I bought the pc 2 weeks ago :( and I already have a problem with it.

My configuration is:

MSI K9N NEO-F (NVIDIA nForce® nForce 550)
Athlon 64X2 3800+ (2000 MHz), Socket AM2, 2x512k Boxed
Leadtek GeForce 7900 GS, 256 Mb DDR3, 256 bit, 450MHz/1320MHz
TwinMOS DDR II 2x512 MB PC2-5300, 667 MHz, CL4
WD 2x160 Gb 7200 rpm, 8 Mb cache, S-ATA II
Windows Vista Ultimate

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh you have Vista. There's your problem ;-)

I'd check for any BIOS updates that are available for that board... it wouldn't be a surprise to see something like that tackled in a new update.

mishule2000

Obliviot
yes I have vista...the first thing i did when I bought the mobo was to update the bios. so you say that the windows update screwed my pc?

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
See if there are any options enabled that automatically shut down your hard drive after a period of inactivity (in the Power control panel). I think if any software setting was causing the problem, it would be this. I dunno, it's worth a try.

mishule2000

Obliviot
:) thanx!

ok, i had my windows reinstalled and now it's all ok! it seems that not the mobo was the problem.

thanx for all

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glad to hear the problem is fixed. Still would be nice to know what caused it in the first place though.

mishule2000

Obliviot
Glad to hear the problem is fixed. Still would be nice to know what caused it in the first place though.

the problem is "deamon tools 4.06". when you first install deamon, a window pops up and ask for some don't know what driver to install...and that was the moment when the problem started.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, interesting. If I recall correctly, I had a problem with that program way back in the day as well.