PC Bioshock Demo

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've downloaded it... haven't given a go yet though. I've already beat the Xbox demo twice, but I am hoping it will be far easier to play on the PC (I suck at console FPS-controls).

MakubeX

Partition Master
Since the full game is out, I don't want to play the demo. I want to know as little as possible about the game before playing it. I've even avoided reading the reviews. All I look at is the score. So far, I've only seen a couple of trailers and that's all I wanna know about the game. I want to be surprised as much as possible when playing this apparently awesome game. ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I refuse to install the full game on the computer unless it's through Steam. The retail copy installs SecuROM... spyware/DRM. I refuse to install that shit on my computer. These companies need to get an effin clue.

Hackers will ALWAYS bypass this. The only people that this crap hassles are legal, paying customers.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
That's where I got that one I have, through Steam.
They kept flashing it up when stream started.

Now this is something new, a different story line ( maybe of sorts )
The graphics are dark, as it should be for the hidden suprises.
There is good training at the start, the same as HL2.
I like to see the Demos to see if I want to shell out the cash before buying.

Merlin

MakubeX

Partition Master
I refuse to install the full game on the computer unless it's through Steam. The retail copy installs SecuROM... spyware/DRM. I refuse to install that shit on my computer. These companies need to get an effin clue.

Hackers will ALWAYS bypass this. The only people that this crap hassles are legal, paying customers.

Yeah, SecuRom is VERY annoying. :mad:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No worries about linking to it. It does show how clueless a company is when they package such crap with a DEMO though.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hurrah. This issue has pissed me off enough that I am almost considering writing of an article about it. I just cannot comprehend how companies thing installing such malware is a smart idea.

brin

Obliviot
Thanks for the heads up :p Game developers need to learn to not worry about securing their games too much - they should probably take a page from Microsoft, and learn that if they are developing quality goods, its a possibility that warez (meaning, allowing people to steal their game) can infact be good for sales.

Should an article ever be written, I think it is important to at least CONSIDER that idea.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I love this game even though it hates my AC97 codec onboard sound.
Excellent story and gameplay, best game of the year so far.
NOT for children or the squeamish.

Roberick

Obliviot
Awesome game.... very reminiscient of system shock 2, right down to the wrench melee weapon. Tons of atmosphere too

Rat

Obliviot
The demo, after finishing it, made me place my pre-order through STEAM not a minute later.
Couldn't not, but man... for as long as the demo was... the full game is a whole lot longer.

flashive

Obliviot
Too bad it didn't run on my X300, I would've liked to try it. Is the game as much fun as the hype says it is?

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Steam has their own protections that aren't as invasive as SecuROM.
Picked up the game from a local Circuit City (they've got it on sale), after install and activation (which wasn't a problem) I went to gamecopyworld to get a mini-image.

The security protections make running the game with disk a pain in the rear, and heaven forbid you uninstall and reinstall and SecuROM decides you have installed too many times (as my friend with the gaming rig discovered). Then you have to call the company provide a PICTURE of the CD, the Manual, and the game BOX before they will help you reset it. Just as likely, you will get the runaround through the various departments and never reach someone who can tell you that without a ready digital camera, it will be a week or more before they'll get your pictures. Nasty.

That said, the demo doesn't do justice to the game itself, which is highly story-based and the gameplay drives the plot by allowing you amazing flexibility in playstyle. I'm not a FPS fan in most areas, largely due to the fact that I require a plot more than find key card A and insert in slot B. ^_~ This is the only FPS in a decade that has held my interest. I won't go into the plot due to spoilers, but it's worth picking up.

Last edited:

Xyres

Obliviot
This game dosent need a demo, just looking at pictures was enough to convince me to play this game.

ComradeWolf

Obliviot
I would recommend trying a demo of a game to see if it suits you, critics base their opinions on what they think not what you do, so I say "Try it out."

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I don't reccommend this demo. While it does serve as a decent gameplay trainer... it has only tenuous links to the story and is very little like the actual game itself. This is mainly due to the demo being based on a snippet of the game from an earlier version, one that was being developed cross platform (PS3 code in the demo itself) and with a vastly different storyline.

It'll give you a decent feel for using your plasmids (which you get randomly instead of the story-driven introduction from the game) and guns, but not much else.

BTW: The demo also includes SecuROM.