Partition Table Bad

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well.. it's been over a month since my last HDD blew up, and I am getting sick of not having Linux on my box. So I start up PartitionMagic, to create some partitions, and I get:

"Partition Table Bad", proceeded by a swift program end. PM will not even *start* due to this. I currently only have 2 200GB WD drives in the computer, and the error is coming from the second one. For some reason, it's only displaying as 180GB.

I ran chkdsk, and other disk diag progs, but nothings seeming to help. I need to get another drive to back up the entire thing then completely format and fdisk it, but I would like to avoid that.

Most times, PartitionMagic would be able to at least access the drive and then redistribute the remaining space.. but it won't even load! Anybody know any other good Partition creation programs? This is the only one I've ever really dealt with for years.

Thanks!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welp, I fixed that one, of course.. right after I posted it.

I stumbled across a program called Partition Expert, and it fixed everything quite easily. Looks like a great Partitioning program too..

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Is this the same program?

big.partitionexpert2003_box.en.jpg

www.acronis.com/products/partitionexpert/

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sweet. I don't actually think I've heard of them UNTIL this product actually. They sound familiar, but I don't think I've used their product before.

Seems to be quite reliable though.