P6X58D/H50 Case

ChuckR

Obliviot
I plan to have the following built but I can't find a case that is right for it. I need Cool/Quiet as I am in Las Vegas and it will sit on my corner desk behind the monitor. The HAF 932 is loved, but doesn’t line up for this board properly.
CPU Intel Core I7 920(D0)
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D
RAM 12 GB Patriot PC3 1600 (2000) 8-8-8-24
Video Saphire 5870(VaporX Cooling) or
ASUS EAH5770 (Supports Displayport,HDMI 5x9")
Monitor HP LP2475w(1920 x 1200 @ 60,66,75,85 Hz)
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
CPU Cooler Corsair H50
Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Hard Drive Intel X25-M 160GB G2, (1)WD Caviar Black 1TB, Sata 6.0 HD <1TB
OCZ SSD's seem to be getting good press.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Do you already have the HP LP2475w monitor? If so, never mind... But just saying, there's the new-ish Dell U2410 that came out late last year, its colour calibration is much better than the old Dell's and the HP - using an IPS screen. But having said that, the HP - if bought from HP itself - can get an extended warranty quite cheaply. If Colour calibration isn't that important, you may be better off with a much cheaper monitor, since both the HP and the Dell are expensive in comparison.

With regard to OCZ, i'm in two minds. For one, they make a lot of great equipment at quite low prices, the problem is, a lot of their products like to die within or shortly after warranty. Their power supplies have been known to blow unexpectedly with only minimal to moderate use, i for one had this problem with a 500 watt stealth or something - PSU, was only used about 10 hours a week and after 1 year, it died. Their memory comes in batches, some good, some bad, with numerous DOA's and short delay RMA's, but in their defence, it may be a case of scale, OCZ sell a lot of their kits, so of course, the rate of return on defects will be higher, even though as a percentage, it's probably the same as others (but still just a guess). As for their SSD's, i don't know, not much is said with regard to long term use. I would advise that you spend the extra $20-$30 on an SSD just for an extended warranty of a minimum of 3 years preferably 5, since the manufacturer has more confidence in their device and is less likely to break - even if it does, you'll be covered.

As for a case, it depends if size is a factor (and price). Larger cases, like full towers, will provide that extra room for air to flow without cables getting in the way, but they are big and heavy and of course, expensive. I have 3 Thermaltake cases, bought over the years, Xaser III, Kandolf and a Xaser VI. The Xaser VI is big, imposing and rather intimidating to be honest. If you get the windowless version the side panel has large mesh panels, so they allow for a much improved air flow while still providing a glimpse inside the case. Thermaltake fans on the other hand, namely the 'free' ones that come with the cases, leave a lot to be desired, since they're cheap sleeve bearings and you'll be lucky if they last 5 months. Lian Li tend to make more sleek cases, but they are mainly Mid Tower cases (they still offer some full towers). Again, it comes down to requirements, environment and budget. If it's a work computer, then you'll probably want something a little more innocuous. If it's personal use, then it's all a matter of taste.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
With regard to OCZ, i'm in two minds. For one, they make a lot of great equipment at quite low prices, the problem is, a lot of their products like to die within or shortly after warranty. Their power supplies have been known to blow unexpectedly with only minimal to moderate use, i for one had this problem with a 500 watt stealth or something - PSU, was only used about 10 hours a week and after 1 year, it died.
Didn't think I had anything to add, but that caught my eye. And, I completely agree with T-N. I will not buy another OCZ PSU.

I had 2 OCZ 550W PSUs in 2 different machines. They were pretty ... very shiny & all. Both were bought at the same time and they both failed within a month of each other shortly after the warranty. At both times the mother boards had to be replaced also making it very suspect that the PSU took out the m/bs. The m/bs were different types and there is no conclusive evidence that the m/bs did not kill the PSU ... but that is not the direction failures usually go. I suspect a failure mode was that the OCZ PSU put out some unregulated voltages in their death throes & killed the m/bs.

Soewhere on this forum I whined about this & got several good suggestions for better PSU brands. I ended up getting a Seasonic 750X from Performance-PCs in Florida. They are $20 less than 'egg .. woo hoo! Don't take just my opinion on them go to resellerratings.com & make your own opinion ... they aren't as good as 'egg, but they are not too bad. They shipped my order out within 2 hours.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ChuckR said:
The HAF 932 is loved, but doesn’t line up for this board properly.

I am not sure how that's possible. There's nothing special about the P6X58D form-factor-wise, and the 932 is a full-tower that could handle an eATX board. Surely it will accept the P6X58D (ATX) without an issue.

It's unfortunate that so much bad press around OCZ's power supplies is floating around lately. I can't entirely disagree, since I've also had two of its PSUs die on me within a year. But, that was a while ago, so I'm not sure of the situation today.

As for the company's SSDs, there is a LOT to research before commiting to one, because the speeds and benefits of the various models can vary greatly from model to model. If you were to buy an SSD, I'd be on the lookout for OCZ's upcoming SandForce-based drives, as they are looking pretty amazing (they are the first to beat out Intel's SSDs in all regards).