Overclocking Tools

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Overclocking & Benchmarking Tools

Here is a list of tools used to overclock your GPU. If you have one that's not listed here, feel free to add to it.

CPU & GPU Overclocking:
ATITool - ATI OC Utility
ATI Tray Tools - Great OC/Graphics Tool
nVHardPage - GeForce Tweaker
Nvidia BIOS Editor - BIOS Editor
Overclockulator - OC Calculator
RivaTuner - GPU Tweaking Utility
PowerStrip - Overclocking Tool

Graphical Benchmarking:
3D Mark 01 - DirectX 8.1
3D Mark 03 - DirectX 9
3D Mark 05 - DirectX 9c
Aquamark3 - DirectX 9
CodeCreatures
D3D RightMark
Fraps - Tracks FPS and records video

System Benchmarking:
Everest Ultimate
HD Tune - Harddrive Testing
nBench - Unix Benchmark
PC Mark 04
SiSoft Sandra 2005

Last edited:

leecho7

Partition Master
For the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro series, with just the standard fan cooling, how much can I oc the badboy without having any potential danger of overheating, if its possible?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since you have the same card I do, is your base Core/Mem 378/338? If so, I would say a completely stable OC would be 410/370. You could take it a little higher than that if you want, just watch for the heating.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah the stock is at 378/330 somethin. So if I raise it that high theres really no need of worry from something like overheating or being burned out or something? Just curious, cause the card is my baby and I don't want her to die out on me in like a month or something.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
leecho7 said:
So if I raise it that high theres really no need of worry from something like overheating or being burned out or something?.

If you raise it to what the numbers I mentioned, you should have no problems. That's a very stable overclock. With ATI Tool, when you raise it that high, hit the Scan for Artifacts button. It should be clean as a whistle. If it finds any, lower it a tad, although I highly doubt it will find one.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
The new nvidia drivers come with their own frequency adjustments. You just have to unlock the feature ;). Using NvTweak as part of the Ntune program you can unlock clock freqencies adjustment for your video card. It actually has a box titled "Coolbits" with Advanced D3D, Clock Frequencies, and Both buttons within. By clicking Clock Frequencies you unlock the ability to increase your memory and gpu frequencies through your nVidia display window.

anibalX

Obliviot
yeah.. i know it, but it's a .reg file, and it doesn't come with drivers.. you have to do at your own risk

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Well adding Coolbits itself is almost pointless considering it's built into the nvidia drivers. You make a good point that it could be listed by itself, but seeing how it's built into the drivers itself, I don't see a need to list it. You can put a link up if you feel quite so inclined.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is unbelievably out of date... it's not even funny. I will try my best to update this entire list in the next few weeks.