Overclocking the E6300

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I received an E6300 quite a while ago, but finally got around to getting a board to go with it. This is the smallest C2D CPU and costs around $190 on NewEgg. The motherboard I am using is a new one from ASUS, the P5N-E SLI. This board is based on the new 650i chipset, and has some downsides but it is still fully capable of SLI. This board also retails for $140, also at NewEgg.

To me, this is a great value. $330 before taxes and shipping, for a killer CPU and board. Add in Corsairs N500 water cooling ($200) and you have the base to a killer overclocking rig, on a budget.

While the stock speed is 1.86GHz, this chip has far more potential, as long as the motherboard is going to handle a large amount of FSB. Which this one does. 79% overclock, anyone?

Paired with a really good GPU, you can set new personal records easy with 3D Mark.

I didn't find out the max overclock with the stock cooler, simply because I ran into issues that I -thought- was the CPU, but turned out to be the motherboard. I'd imagine a stable overclock on air would be around 2.8GHz.

As for the motherboard itself, it's a solid contender, but has some brutal DDR2 issue right now. Currently, it's near impossible to go beyond DDR2-1000 speeds, and if you are lucky enough to get there, it will be with 5-5-5 timings. Appalling. But, a new BIOS is in the works apparently, that should remedy this.

As it stands though, it's a budget CPU and budget board. Throw in some budget ram, and you have a fantastic overclocking machine for $500~. As long as those DDR2 issues get sorted out, anyway. It doesn't take a phat wallet to get killer performance anymore.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Yes, I am very pleased with the ease of overclocking my E6300 has shown. I am running 3.22GHz 24/7 stable (460X7) @ only 1.3V Vcore. There is more left in my motherboard and CPU, just haven't taken the time or felt the need to push it much harder. I am also running water, although I have a DangerDen setup. But my budget was low when I built my rig so the E6300 was perfect.

werty316

Partition Master
Since the 680i-SLi boards cost an arm and a leg I am thinking about buying the Asus P5N-E 650i-SLi board sometime next year since its only $140 at PCCanada and this would make my transition to Core2Duo SLi rig quite easy.

I guess what Anandtech said about this board being picky with memory timings is true and they said that if you have some 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 memory then your should be good to go. Anandtech said Asus is gonna release a new beta bios that supposely fixes this issue.

Asus P5N-E 650i-SLi review: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2894

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
ASUS do make nice boards, but I waited forever for a new bios for my A8R32MVP for more HTT and never saw one. Their support is lousy, but usually they change things when the big name reviewers complain, not the actual people that buy them retail. I am just gonna do SLI with my board and some modded drivers.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't speak with experience regarding their BIOS release schedule. I've been lucky so far. I haven't needed a new BIOS.. my M2N32-SLI and P5WD2-E were great right out of the box.

This BIOS problem is not a small one as far as I am concerned. It's a budget board, yes. But when people buy PC2-8000 ram, it should be able to run at those speeds without issue. Since all C2D have at least a stock of 1066FSB speed, that means ram should be able to run at DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500) as well, since that's just using the common sense 1:1 ratio.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Well, what bothers me more than anything about ASUS, is the proven fact that they only respond to problems when a big name reviewer/review site posts a bad review. They don't monitor their own support forum, and their answers to any emails for support are just generic responses. It is a budget board, so I guess I shouldn't expect much, but ASUS needs to revamp their support before they win back this customer. I should add that most motherboard makers are like this. The bottom line is always first for them.....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hear you and it's too bad. I have never dealt with tech support (even before the website) so I don't really have experience to back up my thoughts. The -worst- company I've ever dealt with would have to have been BFG Tech. I had to RMA a GPU, and the one they gave me back had a short in it and killed my motherboard, hard drive and monitor. I was pissed :)

I do wish companies would get the hint though.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Excellent review! It seems all the 6x0 Nvidia chipset boards have major memory overclocking issues. Same with 2T. I haven't seen many, if any, C2D systems able to run 1T on the memory with much success. If they do fix those issues with a bios revision, I just might give one a try since I am getting another 7900GS and I am gonna try running SLI on my DQ6 (which is barely crossfire ready).