OS X 10.7 'Lion' Reaches Gold Master Status

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It's been about a month since Apple announced its upcoming OS X 10.7 'Lion' at its developer conference, and with news that it has just hit its 'Gold' status, a release is virtually imminent. Typically, once an OS X version goes gold, it will hit store shelves within two weeks, but being that Lion will primarily be distributed via the Mac Store app download service, Apple might take advantage of the fact that it could release it sooner and could very well do so.

apple_os_x_lion_060611_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

MacMan

Partition Master
You once said that Lion was not a major upgrade, but that Snow Leopard was.

Well, I found out from Apple that you were correct!

But so was!

I was told that you have to understand the purpose of the OS upgrades, and why they are the way they are. Snow Leopard, for example, was a major rewrite of the entire kernal, the plumbing and wiring of the system if you will. Snow Leopard had very few features, it was designed specifically to pave the way for subsequent OS upgrades in the future, starting with Lion. S. Leopard was a major upgrade, but I was told that there are different types of upgrades, Snow Leopard was what is known as a major "maintenance" release.

Lion is indeed a major upgrade, however, but it's designed entirely different in nature... it's what is called a major "feature" release, and one all made possible by the major "maintenance" release that was Snow Leopard. Thanks to Snow Leopard it will now allow Apple to add thousands, and that's what they told me, literally thousands of major new features in future releases without the needing to rewrite major portions of the kernal. I was told that the 250 new features found in Lion will be nothing compared to what is coming. The ability to boot into a browser mode, will eventually go way past anything that Chrome OS does, but that, for now, is top secret.... damn it!

So thanks Rob, because thanks to you and Dan, at Apple, I now have a better understaning of just what makes up a major OS upgrade. The kernal is the bigger of the two, but major feature upgrades are almost just as important.

Ps. I've already knew how to install Lion on a CD, DVD or thumbdrive, but if you don't, then the instructions are as easy as apple pie:

http://eggfreckles.net/tech/burning-a-lion-boot-disc/

Last edited: