Obliviot
Traded my 3700+ and got the Opty 148.

So far I am 2.9 GHZ...

30 c Idle
48 c Prime95 full load/temp

I don't know if I should try to push it even further :confused:

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
hmm, well, how much voltage, what's your ram running at?

my question.. why not push it further? do you plan on keeping the cpu for more than 2-3 years? :D

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Looks like you're doing well so far. I've seen Optys hit 3.5Ghz but every core and every chip is different. If you're motherboard and ram support a higher fsb, sure you can go further. The question is: Do you need to?
Overclocking will shorten the lifespan of a chip, but as long as you keep the temps down the effect isn't as harsh. I'm pushing to get the best fps and gameplay. If you aren't needing the extra ooomph then it's not necessary to go the distance. I just want to get 3Ghz out of the processor I've got, and it looks like you can do the same.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Keep pushing. Those temps, while on the high side, aren't near that chips temp ceiling.

Also, how do you like that Expert Jakal? I have been debating getting one of those and an Opti 175 dual core but havent made that jump yet. I haven't really gotten to talk to anyone about that particular board so any insight you might have on it for me would be appreciative.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I love it, I mean, I've never had a board with so many options. The ram is holding me back but I've got to take care of some things for my car before going further. I especially love the built in fan control and Memtest86 available through the bios. It's got so many extra features I haven't even seen before, that I was actually a little dumbfounded the first time I went into the bios.
One thing I think is awesome is the 8, count em, 8 sata ports built into the mb. You can only increase the core voltage by .025 volt at a time which is nice. I've set mine to 1.425v and a 1.4 startup voltage. That gave me the best stability and increasing the ldt voltage to 1.4v allowed for a full 5x HTT bus. So now it's at 225x5 or 1125mhz. There's so many options for the ram I've set em all for auto timing lol XD. Increasing the voltage for my ram didn't help at all so I haven't tried to go much further. I did get it to boot to windows at 230mhz but super pi wouldn't run. The max I've gotten out of the ram is 233 @ 2.8 using clockgen. I really love the board and it's options. I just don't know if it's really worth it to upgrade if you already have the other Lanparty board. :shrug:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Well, I want another complete PC....one to overclock and play on and one to setup on my bench and review/test shit in. I will make my current PC my test bed on the bench and throw the expert, Opti and whatever else in my case and use it day to day...

dborgill

Obliviot
Ok, going 1:1 I can get about 2,875 mhz stable...

If I mem divide and lower the HTT to 3x, I can get a little over 3 ghz stable...

Not too shabby! 800mhz overclock on air.

Anyway, I don't know which is better overall for gaming. The 2,875 mhz on 1:1 or the 3 gig on mem divider.

dborgill

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
I'd be happy with 2.88GHz.. that's a great overclock on air!

Yeah, I guess I just need to run all my benchmarks and see how they compare. I don't really like using a divider.. but oh well.

I can't believe how high I can overclock that Super Talent memory... Now if I could only get some super high quality RAM instead. ;)

Jacksn

Obliviot
I would have to truthfully say that, this ASrock & Opteron combo has been "THE" number one upgrade for me in my 23+ years of the computer world. I am hitting 3Ghz stable with this chipset @ 1.45v on the CPU core with the AMD stock HSF. There is also a vmod to reach 1.55v which I have not done yet. I imagine 3.2Ghz is not out of the realm with a good cooler like the "ArcticFreezer 64" at those volts. I can say I would highly recommend this motherboard to anyone with an AMD64 upgrade in mind.