onboard sound with good headset

legless

Obliviot
i'm currently thinking of purchasing a icemat siberia headset, but im using onboard sound. could anyone tell me if i will get the best out of the headset if i dont get a decent sound card.

leecho7

Partition Master
That is one mighty fine headset your getting there. I would recommend that you dish out the cash for a decent sound card. You'd be surprised how much difference a decent sound card makes, trust me on that.

legless

Obliviot
That is one mighty fine headset your getting there. I would recommend that you dish out the cash for a decent sound card. You'd be surprised how much difference a decent sound card makes, trust me on that.

ty for the response. could you suggest any sound card that i could buy which is maybe mid-priced.

leecho7

Partition Master
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 is a great card, its around $80 depending on where you get it. It might be a bit pricey, at least towards my standards cause I'm cheap, but trust me it makes a world of difference.
I was able to hear things in video games, movies, and music, that I didn't even hear before without the soundcard. The sound is crystal clear (depending on how you adjust the audio levels), and you can even modify it to mimic a theater setting etc.
Imagine playing a game like BattleField 2 with the sound cranked up in a theater setting. It's like you're playing in a movie theater.

legless

Obliviot
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 is a great card, its around $80 depending on where you get it. It might be a bit pricey, at least towards my standards cause I'm cheap, but trust me it makes a world of difference.
I was able to hear things in video games, movies, and music, that I didn't even hear before without the soundcard. The sound is crystal clear (depending on how you adjust the audio levels), and you can even modify it to mimic a theater setting etc.
Imagine playing a game like BattleField 2 with the sound cranked up in a theater setting. It's like you're playing in a movie theater.

guess ill have to fork out extra for the soundcard then although i have no idea how to install it. :confused:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Wait now...

What motherboard are you using? If it's a newer one, you might not tell a difference between the sound quality. At least I can't on my PC. While a sound card will provide quality sound, a lot of newer motherboard have good enough sound chips on them. Wait before you spend the money.

leecho7

Partition Master
That's right, forgot that the newer mobos come with the hi-def whatever dingamajig onboard sound these days.
It's been a while since I kept up with technology.
I haven't stepped into the realm of Conroe yet.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I personally have a mobo that is ~ a year old, and it is a semi higher end one. It does have the high end sound chip in it with "theater sound" supposedly build in.

While this chip was a drastic improvement over my old rigs built in L/R stereo, my SB X-fi kicks its ass!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Agreed -- I can percieve greater depth and imaging, as well as dynamic range and bass depth/impact from a higher-end sound card (Audigy LS) as compared to the C-Media chipset on the ASUS A7v board that's in my music machine. As preparation for my review of the Razer Barracuda, I wanted to hear what some of the differences sound like, and thankfully my main stereo system is revealing enough to show the difference, though it's still fairly subtle. There is a difference, though, and it's not just about SNR.

Last edited:

legless

Obliviot
Wait now...

What motherboard are you using? If it's a newer one, you might not tell a difference between the sound quality. At least I can't on my PC. While a sound card will provide quality sound, a lot of newer motherboard have good enough sound chips on them. Wait before you spend the money.

i'm using a intel P4 530 with HT tech and 3.00 Ghz. and it says its high def 7.1 dolby surround ready.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
He's talking about the motherboard in your computer, not the processor. The onboard sound on newer enthusiast motherboards is quite far ahead of what it used to be, in some cases even making a separate sound card an esoteric add-on instead of a necessity. If you're using a store-bought computer, expect the onboard sound to be of middling quality.

legless

Obliviot
He's talking about the motherboard in your computer, not the processor. The onboard sound on newer enthusiast motherboards is quite far ahead of what it used to be, in some cases even making a separate sound card an esoteric add-on instead of a necessity. If you're using a store-bought computer, expect the onboard sound to be of middling quality.

no idea what the mother board is. =( sorry im still a noob at these things.