Onboard card died last night.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
MY onboard soundcard just quit working. I was in the middle of a game last night and my comp locked up. I thought that was really weird since it has onyl done it twice since i built it. THen upon rebooting it, there was no sound. The board is on auot rec for it... but it says nothing is there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ive tried reinstalling the drivers so far.... got nothing.

The device manager doesnt show any errors, it jsut says its not there. And it doesnt detect it if i use the auto detect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This isnt a hge deal cause i have an x-fi to install, but i just hate shit not working when it should. Any suggestions?

maddmaxx

E.M.I.
Have you tried pulling it out and sticking it in another slot. As stupid as this sounds I know from experience that it can sometimes solve the problem. Running XP by any chance?? XP is possessed. Weird stuff happens. Other than that I'd say RIP, and get a new sound card.
I see from your sig that you may be running Linux. If so, I don't have a clue.:D

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Un-install that sound card in Windows, and then hard reset your BIOS twice (using the jumpers, consult your manual). Once you do that, boot back into Windows and install the drivers again. If it doesn't work, check your speakers to make sure they are turned on.

If all is in check, and it still doesn't work, then it's time to chuck it.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Rob, The soundcard isnt being recognized by windows at all so it cannot be uninstalled. And yeah... the speakers are on... :-/ this is me you are talking to.

Max, We've never really exchanged howdys... So hi!
My signature shows you what you have and are viewing the page with, not what i have. This sound card is also an on board sound card... (read thread title.) so it cant be taken out and put back into a different slot. It has one slot.
Lastly you will notice that at the end of my post i mention that i have already purchesed n x-fi.

Thanks for your concern and feedback yo! -stork keepin it real since real was there for him to keep f00!

maddmaxx

E.M.I.
My bad. I have been working long hours for awhile now and I'm a little brain dead. I saw your post but didn't read it carefully. So I'll just slink quitely away now. I'll come back when I have rested my poor pea brain.:eek:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
lmao Its cool man. get soem sleep though. I knew you know mat so I just kinda figured you didnt read all of it.

Let me know what you think when you get rested up.

Well, since it's onboard sound, he can't exactly pull it out and plug it in somewhere else......... :p

What mobo is it? And is it still under warranty? The reason I ask is that if the audio chip has gone bad, it's a pretty good indication that the rest of the board is going to crap out pretty soon.

LOOP

Obliviot
spiffyp said:
Why be sorry? The lucky bugger has an X-Fi!!! Who cares about the onboard?!?!

Since he purchased a X-Fi, I guess he is not going to RMA it?

That is not a good idea, because other stuff could go bad on the board. Unless I'm mistaken, usually IO functions + onboard audio is handled by the same chip. If you don't RMA it, you may later find all your IO ports dieing on you or you may experience other IO problems.

LOOP said:
Since he purchased a X-Fi, I guess he is not going to RMA it?

That is not a good idea, because other stuff could go bad on the board. Unless I'm mistaken, usually IO functions + onboard audio is handled by the same chip. If you don't RMA it, you may later find all your IO ports dieing on you or you may experience other IO problems.

Read up a few posts. I already said that. :rolleyes:

LOOP

Obliviot
fussnfeathers said:
Read up a few posts. I already said that. :rolleyes:

LOL. No you didn't.

What you said was incorrect which I will explain why in a moment. Likewise what you said was covering something different then what I said.

You said "it's a pretty good indication that the rest of the board is going to crap out pretty soon".

You also later said "I'd be concerned that something else on the board will go as well"

Both your statements referred to something else located somewhere differently on the board going bad. That is an incorrect statement and in both cases totally different then what I said. Your entire theory was that if one part goes bad on a motherboard then most likely others will go bad. That is totally incorrect. A silicon chip can go bad inside of a standalone IC chip, and have absolutely no effect on the rest of the board. I have had silicon chips go bad on an inboard video IC on the motherboard, and since the video chip was standalone and did not control any other functions on the board, the board continued to work fine for years. I seen serial port IC chips die, and likewise the rest of the board function fine. I seen IC chips totally burn out and have a burn mark on the top, while the rest of the board function well for years. I worked in a computer repair shop for a summer job once and seen a lot of stuff happen.

What I said was totally different then what you said. I was NOT referring to anything else on the board going bad, because it wouldn't. Nothing else on the board would go bad, because of damage inside a single IC chip, unless the damage effects the power regulation circuitry. Which would only happen if the damage IC chip was a power regulator IC.

Basically what I said was that the audio chip may be a multi-purpose IC chip, and also control IO functions. Consequently there may be additional damage within that exact same IC chip with the IO going bad at a later point. I'm referring to damage occuring within the same chip, and not elsewhere on the board. Also what I said, would mean that if he researched the chip that went bad and found out that it ONLY controlled his audio then there would be nothing to worry about, which again is different then what you said.

"What mobo is it? And is it still under warranty? The reason I ask is that if the audio chip has gone bad, it's a pretty good indication that the rest of the board is going to crap out pretty soon."

"That is not a good idea, because other stuff could go bad on the board. Unless I'm mistaken, usually IO functions + onboard audio is handled by the same chip. If you don't RMA it, you may later find all your IO ports dieing on you or you may experience other IO problems."

My post, your post. Both say the same thing. "RMA the board, it's probably going to die soon". I do apologize for not writing a full diagnostic book as to what individual parts might go bad, but that wasn't really necessary. Bottom line is he needs to RMA the board, and get it replaced.

And no, the I/O ports are not handled by the audio chip, they are handled in the Northbridge, unless you're talking about the MIDI/Joystick port, which is indeed still handled by the onboard sound processor to an extent.

Also bear in mind that nine times out of ten, a failed chip is caused by uneven (dirty) power flow through the board traces. This can manifest itself in a number of ways, but the leading results of bad power flow are:

onboard sound failing
onboard networking failing on one port or the other, usually the add-in port, if there is two
Onboard video issues
One channel of the IDE bus failing
Processor socket meltdown

among other things. Regardless of what fails next, the plain fact is something else will soon go that will render the board useless.

Last edited: