Ok...this is...I have no idea

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I'm going to be shot for this, but anyway... It's a very clever trick, there are no holographics involved. It's a large glass sheet that spans the stage with 3 projectors behind it. The characters are Vocaloid performers and the 3D models and dance software is powered by Sega. If you watch carefully when the characters move to the outer edge of the projector, they become darker, before they're picked up by the adjacent projector. It's a neat optical illusion, no real 3D here....

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I'm going to be shot for this, but anyway... It's a very clever trick, there are no holographics involved. It's a large glass sheet that spans the stage with 3 projectors behind it. The characters are Vocaloid performers and the 3D models and dance software is powered by Sega. If you watch carefully when the characters move to the outer edge of the projector, they become darker, before they're picked up by the adjacent projector. It's a neat optical illusion, no real 3D here....

whoaa! now thats some kick ass Tuchonology! :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Catchy song, that's for sure. I think anime is being taken a bit too far with this though. I couldn't imagine liking something like this, despite the tech being so cool.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Catchy song, that's for sure. I think anime is being taken a bit too far with this though. I couldn't imagine liking something like this, despite the tech being so cool.

Actually, they're going to give her an English voice and start doing shows in the US if her fan page gets enough views. *buys glow sticks*

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The Vocaloid characters are of cult status with millions of followers. No idea how many characters there are, 12 or something. That green haired one, Miku, is by far the most popular, they even wanted to name a train after 'her' in japan. Creepy just doesn't quite cover it, lol.

The Vocaloids are purely synthetic singing engines with phonetic libraries made from real singers. Much like AT&T's Natural Voice collection does for spoken words, Vocaloid does for singing. You can buy the software and use the libraries to get them to sing to whatever you want. Since they use a phonetic library, you can get them to sing in any language as the phonetics allows. Works like any other sampling engine, you just control the syllable, pitch and tempo instead.

As for the live demonstration, it certainly court my eye when i first saw it. It's about a year old now. I can easily see this being used for many live events for the growing number of virtual characters being created. But the problem probably lies in the projector synchronising and calibrating the software for depth, distance, etc for each character, not to mention viewing angle of the audience could have a serious impact since if you move too far to one side, you'll loose the illusion (so not much different from current 3D display tech).

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Well there's also a way to make a projection look almost truly 3D using just a water mist. The image is projected onto the water and since all the water particles are in a bunch of different places, the image reflects off these and gives a 3D illusion.

moon111

Coastermaker

Now to figure out how to incorporate that into my case mod.