Official: First NVIDIA Fermi Cards are GTX 470, GTX 480

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Take a guess at the best possible way to discover information from any company today. Subscribe to its press release list? Nope. Contact the company? Nope. In the age of social media, it seems like the best way is to subscribe to that company's Facebook page, Twitter page, Flickr page, et cetera. Remember when NVIDIA first unveiled proof of DX11 on GF100? It released that via Flickr. Then there was EVGA who teased its W555 dual-socket motherboard via Twitpic.

nvidia_fermi_111909.jpg

You can read the rest of our news post here.

Altrus

Coastermaker
Amazing....I just hope it comes out by at least mid summer, and that its not insanely pricey, and that the tech requirements aren't through the roof, and that there's enough to to go around, and...well I hope for a lot.....

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
There is no doubt in my mind they are gonna be expensive, especially the high end models. I cannot see them ending their long tradition of high priced releases. This also seems alot like a "cart before the horse" scenario too. Sure they will be the top dogs again (or most likely) but will ATI continue to undercut them with far cheaper cards that perform very well with current releases? ATI is also perfectly poised for some price drop action as well even IF Nvidia manages to not charge the price premium.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Anyone remember when creative skipped the Audigy 3 and went straight to 4? Stellar performance increase - massive and explosive sound - doubled transistor count - and yeah, it was nothing but a minor revision of the Audigy 2, released as version 4 and then later re-badged as the X-Fi Xtreme. Though the comparison is not entirely fair, since there are a number of fundamental differences in the architecture, the same speculations were made.

Nvidia seems to be spending a lot of time and resource on software development, which as they've pointed out in previous announcements; is there strong point. But i can't help but think about the hole they're digging. In effect, they're concentrating on creating software accelerated hardware acceleration, which can be a good thing, but often results in some very bad holes forming. They run the risk of creating over-specialized software enhancements and neglecting more general hardware performance. As we've seen in many games and applications; but mainly games; hardware performance is ok, but it doesn't shine until the software/driver enhancements are made - and made specifically for that game. Not every game or app will receive this treatment and there is the risk of Nvidia (and ATI), being overly selective about the enhancements they bring with driver tweaks to a select number of games/apps, ignoring nearly everything else. The more software released, the more they need to optimize and thus, the more selective they become, much like what Intel was going to do with Larrabee. I'm not saying software enhancement is bad, just over-reliance on software tweaks can be a dangerous long term path.

Additionally, Nvidia is normally a very vocal company, when they have something stellar in the works, they really let the world know. When they go quiet, much like with Fermi, i get concerned. People know of Fermi, but it's not generating the same buzz we normally associate with Nvidia, details on real performance are significantly lacking, which really makes me second guess the real performance. There is plenty of speculation with regard to the architecture in that it is more GPGPU centric and that Gaming performance may suffer as a result. Mixed with multiple delays, i'm feeling some deja vue, ATI with the x1000 and x2000 releases. Guess we won't know until somethings actually released.

Sorry, i should point out, this was not meant to be a rant. The ATI x1 and x2 releases were not failures, they just didn't provide the level of performance and improvement that people were expecting. When ATI released the x3 and x4 series with the new architectures, there were signs of hope, and it wasn't until the x5 when the real potential was unleashed (but could be seen with the x4). With Nvidia, the same could happen, Fermi will be the trial, working out the kinks in the architecture, sowing the seeds for later generations that are built on it, which might explain the delays as they work out the software element. But of course, this all remains in a shroud of speculation, but we may not need to wait much longer to find out.

Last edited:

Altrus

Coastermaker
There is no doubt in my mind they are gonna be expensive, especially the high end models. I cannot see them ending their long tradition of high priced releases. This also seems alot like a "cart before the horse" scenario too. Sure they will be the top dogs again (or most likely) but will ATI continue to undercut them with far cheaper cards that perform very well with current releases? ATI is also perfectly poised for some price drop action as well even IF Nvidia manages to not charge the price premium.

I think I'll be strongly tempted to buy it if its under the $700 dollar mark, I might be shaking from it.....but, won't know until it comes out...

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Altrus said:
I just hope it comes out by at least mid summer, and that its not insanely pricey

Hah, it will be here long before then, I'm rather confident of that. As for "insanely pricey", it's truly hard to predict without having all the facts together, but based on the information available, I'd suspect the GTX 470 will be around $399 and the GTX 480 around $499. This is a total prediction, I could be way off. I'd just hate to see another $649 launch GPU...

Tharic-Nar said:
With Nvidia, the same could happen, Fermi will be the trial, working out the kinks in the architecture, sowing the seeds for later generations that are built on it, which might explain the delays as they work out the software element.

I think this statement sums things up nicely, because that's how I look at it as well. NVIDIA has lofty goals here, so it's hard to expect anything but a shaky launch with Fermi. NVIDIA is trying to change mindsets, and the consumer opinion. No longer do they want you to purchase a new graphics card for its raw gaming performance, but GPGPU performance as well, along with accelerated geometric perks and other things.

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to predict Fermi's performance without things like actual clocks and real comparisons (that aren't just %'s), but I'd suspect Fermi will give people a real choice (finally) between choosing AMD or NVIDIA. Still, there <em>is</em> likely to be a price premium, but that's equally difficult to predict. I have a feeling that what we'll see is a product much more expensive than AMD's, but the performance more around 15 - 20% higher. The price premium will really be wrapped into things other than just the gaming performance, I feel.

Still, it's not wise to jump to conclusions. There are so many holes to be filled when Fermi finally gets here.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Finally! Next month be March! YEAH! i has $604 saved.... though i wanted to invest in a better PSU and Chassis AND a GPU. i hope they release a $299 one! GTX450 maybe!? hehe! :D

i'm really excited bout the how the new CM 690 II Advanced Vs the CM Storm Sniper comparison comes out!

Altrus

Coastermaker
...at $500 I don't know if I'll be able to act cautious, the demos of it have me a bit enamored.....restraint might be impossible.....

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
Yeah I've been saving for this and thinking of an SLI setup. Probably with the 470 unless the 480 is ridiculously low priced (unlikely, but Nvidia did say that they are "surprisingly cheaper")

Altrus

Coastermaker
Yeah I've been saving for this and thinking of an SLI setup. Probably with the 470 unless the 480 is ridiculously low priced (unlikely, but Nvidia did say that they are "surprisingly cheaper")

Well, if my PSU will handle it I'm going to set up the gtx480 as my main and my current gtx285 as a PhysX exclusive.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well, if my PSU will handle it I'm going to set up the gtx480 as my main and my current gtx285 as a PhysX exclusive.

Cool! i'll keep my 9600GT safely in its box in a cupboard as back up! u never know when a GPU might get fried! :D

Relayer

E.M.I.
I can't believe all of the excitement from some here? This card is already 5 months late and nowhere in sight.

According to Nordichardware, "GeForce GTX 480 in stock in May at best". Then, from what's being said they're looking like vaporware. Why would anyone wait for this? Radeon 5000 refresh is due out before we are likely to see any availability of GTX 480. Won't even go into the heat and power requirement rumors... :rolleyes:

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
I've always thought rumours and gossiping are for women in hair salons but the last few months reading all these sites have nothing but endless cycle of "remember that rumour we posted last time that we tried to pass off as news? well here's another rumour that we're using as proof for our other rumour". Why are there more and more of these editorials from "tech sites" that offer nothing useful other than gossip and rumours?

I'm an enthusiast and I only care about the real numbers. I'm excited about a product that isn't out because its new technology, just like I was excited about the new technologies that came before it. It's my prerogative to be excited from reading the proposed tech specs just as it is your prerogative to base your opinions on rumour "tech websites" instead of sites that offer numbers and data.

Altrus

Coastermaker
I can't believe all of the excitement from some here? This card is already 5 months late and nowhere in sight.

According to Nordichardware, "GeForce GTX 480 in stock in May at best". Then, from what's being said they're looking like vaporware. Why would anyone wait for this? Radeon 5000 refresh is due out before we are likely to see any availability of GTX 480. Won't even go into the heat and power requirement rumors... :rolleyes:

In order....

Not being able to believe in small stretches of practicality will just stunt your growth.

I can vaguely see to May.

It won't be Vaporware either, I mean, unless the company just completely collapses tomorrow they're going to reach the 400s eventually....

And you have to wait for it since its not out yet...can't just go get it now, even if I do want it....

But...I don't buy radeon, so why would that be a reason to not be excited about the GTX 480? Due to their exorbitant use of the color red, just throws off my entire case.

....and rumors?...ehh, they would mean something to me if I hadn't read the definition of rumor...

Relayer

E.M.I.
Well, I guess some are happier waiting til after the fact to get their news. It is safer that way. As far as just dismissing ATI cards out of hand... I suppose that means you would be excited for any news on something new from Nvidea then. Since that precludes just buying the best card out there. I just don't like the lack of competition right now. It's not good for the consumer nor the state of the art.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
I would be excited about getting a 5870 now if it had 3D vision. :p
As it is, all my feelings of hype about it have waned down now compared to 6 months ago that I have read all there is to be discussed and seen all the benches that are to be marked (is that even a proper phrase?). Until ATI officially announces the 6800XT then you won't see much excitement from me a few months from now.

Here's something interesting from ATI though, the 5830 specs finally leaked in a Chinese tech site. http://www.it168.com/

The 5830 is the lower end of the high end cards so it sits nicely between the 5770 and 5850 and IMO the better value.

Last edited: