OCZ's Synapse Cache SSD Allows Do-It-Yourself Hybrid SSD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last month, OCZ announced its RevoDrive Hybrid, a PCIe-based SSD that shipped with a 1TB hard drive built-in. OCZ's move to release such a product was interesting because it helped reaffirm the fact that SSD caching can indeed be useful. In the best case scenario, such an implementation would allow you to use a 1TB hard drive that felt like an SSD; the benefits are self-explanatory.

ocz_synapse_cache_092611_01.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Oh sweet jesus! Me want!

Is there any question really? I mean it may not be the ideal solution for everyone. I for one can understand that a "dedicated" SSD drive may be required on some instances. But personally since I first heard about Intel's SRT (and I was deflowered right here on TG) I could not conceive of anything better than this. For my purposes (a working machine mostly, but that also plays games) this is a superior solution to a dedicated SSD.

But there was a snag. I'd have to upgrade my board. So, looking at this OCZ offer that moves the caching process to the drive controller, I will commit crimes to get my hands on one of these!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not sure what would perform better, SRT vs. Synapse, but I'd lean towards the latter, given the company that produced the software only makes that software (or it seems that way). The best advantage is that a 128GB SSD could be used. Pair that up with a 2TB hard drive and it seems like it'd be a great solution. The SSD would be large enough to cache a lot, including game levels and other application files to speed things all-around. The stuff that doesn't need to be sped up can just be kept on the HDD.

I wouldn't mind giving a solution like this a good long-term test sometime.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Maybe we could ship off a Z68 GIGABYTE board to Robert if we get the Synapse in to review and pit the two technologies against each other.

This option certainly looks like it provides more options for more users although I am a bit puzzled over why only half of the drive can be used even though it still gives more space than the 20GB Intel 310 drive.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Optix, I'm really not sure the Synapse is comparable to the built in cache on say, Gigabyte's boards. It's one thing to cache data with 8-20GB of data, but to use a 120GB SSD as a cache drive? There wouldn't even be a comparison. I guess because Intel charges the same price for the 20GB cache SSD that they SHOULD be compared, but I don't see how built-in cache like on GB's Z68 boards would stand a snowball's chance.