OCZ's Revo Brings Affordable PCI-E SSD's to Enthusiasts

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you've read Robert's review of OCZ's Vertex 2, you know that it's one of the fastest drives ever produced, and unlike Crucial's C300, it seems to be devoid of game-breaking issues. At 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write, along with a 4K random write performance of 50,000 IOPS, the drive is lacking little. But who isn't interested in going even faster?

ocz_vertex2_pcie_060210_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The card has two SF-1200 controllers in RAID 0, hence the silly numbers in read/write, and because of the RAID, you loose TRIM support. The fact it’s bootable is nice and highly desirable, somewhat unexpected as well, the deal breakers are the internal RAID (and we all know what happens when RAID 0 fails) and lack of TRIM.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I agree. I am still not certain I would trust a RAID 0 SSD array, let alone with that much data. I still don't know why I had one SSD abruptly cease working and isn't even registering in the BIOS, and I hear enough reports of similar issues from others that I'm keeping stricter backups of any SSD I use.

It is really impressive to see stuff like this developed and I certainly like reading about the technology. But on the other hand, the performance of a Vertex 2 is so absurdly high that even a Q6600 with 4GB of RAM bottlenecks the thing. It maxed out almost all of the tests I performed on it.... just about mandatory one would need a Core i7-based system just to fully utilize one.

Ignoring the server/hosting space, I can't even imagine why someone would need something twice as fast as a Vertex 2, let alone what they would do with it. :)