OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator, More Affordable than Ever

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It might not be an incredible deal, but it sure seems like one to me:
Over the weekend, I was strolling around some e-tailers checking up on prices of a few things, and one thing I stumbled upon was OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator, or NIA for short. This gaming peripheral, if you are unaware, straps to your head like a normal headband, and allows you to use your brain signals for simple commands in your games. Odd, but true.

I first tried the device at Computex this past summer and was impressed overall. It's certainly not going to make you a better player, but for now, that's not the point. It's going to be a while before anything like this will be perfected, so for now, it's all about having fun and experimenting.

When the NIA was first released, it was priced at over $200, which still seemed like a reasonable deal given the uniqueness, but I found it on the weekend at Newegg for only $119.99, which becomes $99.99 after a $20 mail-in rebate. It's not cheap by any means, but it's not expensive either, given what it is. Some gaming mice cost almost just as much, and they are nowhere near as unique. So if you are looking for a way to spice up some of your gaming, even if it won't make you a better player, definitely keep an eye on it.

ocz_neural_impulse_launch_030308.jpg

OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator (nia) marks a new era in gaming. Rather than being a substitute for a mouse, the nia is a pioneering new peripheral to be used in conjunction with your mouse for a more immersive gaming experience. The nia is compatible with any PC game using keyboard input… past, present, or future.

Source: Newegg - OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator