OCZ's 1TB SSD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If that title didn't get your attention, I'm not sure what would! At CeBIT, OCZ is showing off a PCI-E-based SSD that contains a full 1TB worth of solid state storage. It's actually quite an interesting product. First, it's huge... bigger than a high-end graphics card. It also happens to require it's own power connectors, which look somewhat like PCI-E 6-pin, but it's hard to tell.

The speed? According to the company, 500 - 600MB/s Write speeds are possible, and I assume that the Read will be similar. The drive also packs an incredible 256MB Cache, which will undoubtedly make a huge difference when dealing with larger files.

Pricing and release date is currently unknown.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12381&Itemid=67

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This is nuts. I would like to see the specs for it when they are finalized.

I really hope that they reevaluate the design of this monstrosity but if it needs to be that way, so be it. Those are very impressive speeds but who are they marketing this towards? If pricing scales compared to what pricing is now per TB, and it most certainly wont, it will still be horrible expensive. This could be AMAZING for corporations but I see little need for it for people like you and little interest form anyone not looking for something that size. Then again, exceptions can be made and work arounds can be found.

Who knows?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree, the design is ugly, but I'm sure the final product would look quite a bit better. One thing I missed though, is that ASUS is releasing a new Lamborghini notebook that includes what seems to be a single disk that holds 1TB worth of space. It's from pureSilicon... a company I've never heard of before, but the product looks good:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Puresilicon-936099.html
http://www.computerworld.com/action...articleId=9128941&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top

I have little doubt that OCZ's solution would be more cost-effective, but I'd still love to know what that pureSilicon model would sell for. It can't be that much, if ASUS is including it in an already very high-end notebook.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Not thinking they are gearing this towards anyone concerned about the space it takes up!!!! :)

GAWD!!! What a monster! would look good with some flames on it though... so long as it performs well... ;)

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I have this feeling this beast is for servers...that thing is gigantic...*drool*

Interesting that at $1.46/GB, that's not bad considering my cheapy 64GB is $1.56 per GB (including all the discounts)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
GAWD!!! What a monster! would look good with some flames on it though... so long as it performs well...

I can just picture your house... flames must me everywhere ;-)

Interesting that at $1.46/GB, that's not bad considering my cheapy 64GB is $1.56 per GB (including all the discounts)

I was thinking the same thing. It's expensive, but it actually scales with pricing for 256GB models, so it's not all bad. It might carry some sort of premium, but it's far from being an ordinary SSD.