OCZ XTC Heatspreader

zachig

Obliviot
Tell me, Bio. Do the heatspreaders stick propely to the Chips?

In the RAM I got, the thermal paste used to stick the heatspreaders was loosened, so I had to use some clips to make the heatspreaders attached properly to the chips...

Last edited:

werty316

Partition Master
zachig said:

I the RAM I got, the thermal paste used to stick the heatspreaders was loosened, so I had to use some clips to make the heatspreaders attached properly to the chips...

That isn't good. You have to make sure you are gentle or the heatspreaders will come loose and I don't think OCZ would like if you need to get them RMA'd. Most if not all ram stick with heatspreaders are on there really good.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
This is the second set of OCZ with this type of heat spreader and I haven't had a problem with them sticking at all. As a matter of fact, I wanted to look under them to see what type of IC's that they used, and I couldn't get them to move at all, so I just left them alone.

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
zachig said:

In the RAM I got, the thermal paste used to stick the heatspreaders was loosened, so I had to use some clips to make the heatspreaders attached properly to the chips...
i've found that the trim comes off easily, but the spreader itself is tough to budge

zachig

Obliviot
(cf)Eclipse said:
i've found that the trim comes off easily, but the spreader itself is tough to budge

Thanks guys for your comments/remarks.

So...I think I just got a "defective" RAM, but I'm not worried anymore, I "fixed" it already using "home-made" clips...;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
zachig said:
Thanks guys for your comments/remarks.

So...I think I just got a "defective" RAM, but I'm not worried anymore, I "fixed" it already using "home-made" clips...;)

I asked OCZ about your problem, and it's the first they've heard of it also. They said that it *could* possibly happen under extreme temps, but they use ultra strong tape, so it's wierd that you would ever run into the problem.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
sbrehm72255 said:
I picked up a 2g kit as well that has the new heat spreaders on it.............:)

dsc000830ra.jpg
droolsThose are very pretty drools some more Now if you could just remove the paper label without voiding the warranty :) drools excessively (my least favorite part on any brand of ram :()

goes to change wet shirt

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This photo was 'shopped by (cf)Eclipse but I thought it should be posted here because it looks so damn cool. It's too bad the spreaders couldn't be removed to be modded up, but any paint added would likely take away from the cooling effectiveness anyway.

Attachments

• DSCF3101r.jpg
    DSCF3101r.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 633

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
If you could get the outter frame off without bending it, you could get it anodized in just about any color you want..........:)