OCZ Vertex 4 Incoming

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Not sure where this came from, but apparently OCZ has plans to launch the Vertex 4 in fourteen hours... there's an ad banner up on our site with a sneak peak at some of the details.

I have to say I'm quite surprised and certainly wasn't expecting the Vertex 3 to be supplanted quite so soon. OCZ states up front the Vertex 4 will be Indilinx powered, so it will be very interesting to see how it compares to the OCZ Octane SSDs in terms of performance. Given the statements made it should make for a nice upgrade in performance and at the same time should do away with the reliability concerns people still have regarding SandForce based drives. :)

Kayden

Tech Monkey
and I just grabbed the Vertex 3! I agree, I didn't think OCZ would have given the Vertex 3 such a short time at the top. As it is though, any one who has a V3 shouldn't feel like they should get a V4 tbh. I doubt they have done enough to warrant an immediate upgrade. Just hate how fast tech moves some days.

marfig

No ROM battery
By the looks of the website the ad points at, it seems all versions will be MLC. It would be nice if the smaller versions weren't. A single cell SSD would be nice. Both for performance and life.

Is there an impediment for a 60GB single cell SSD? Would it be way more expensive than an MLC?

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
By the looks of the website the ad points at, it seems all versions will be MLC. It would be nice if the smaller versions weren't. A single cell SSD would be nice. Both for performance and life.

Is there an impediment for a 60GB single cell SSD? Would it be way more expensive than an MLC?

Unfortunately yeah... SLC is 4-5x more expensive than MLC flash on the flash market. So a 60GB SLC drive would cost as much as the 240GB MLC drive.

Intel's own 313 cache SSDs are an example of this. The Intel 24GB SLC 313 costs $140, and they make their own flash.