OCZ Ultra Mini-Kart USB Thumb Drive

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2006/155

What does everything think of this? At first look, I honestly think it looks pretty cheap. The pins sticking out like this isn't exactly that sharp looking, and being in your wallet all day could have adverse affects.

I wonder how fast/slow they will prove to be also. At least it doesn't expand depending on how much data you push into it. :)

madmat

Soup Nazi
It looks like an SD card made to interface with USB to me. I'm sure that there's a cap to cover the pins when it's not in use, there'd have to be otherwise they would end up fubared in no time.

I wouldn't put that in my wallet honestly, I don't care how thing it is, it's still fragile as hell. That's just asking for trouble.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
One second. Are thumb drives too big now? Seriously, a 1gb thumb drive is no larger than a 512 these days. If you need so much space that your thumb drive has to fit in a wallet.. man. It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but how small is small enough? I like my silver and blue PNY. ;)

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's the size of a SD media card. Much smaller than your 1 gig card is now. It doesn't need it's OWN wallet but instead can fit in the credit card pocket in your wallet. Get it?

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
i think it would be handy for some things. like a backup/boot disk/favorites/password cache to carry around in your wallet. maybe have scans of your insurance docs, or medical records, etc. incase of diaster like if your house burned down or a car wreck:eek: .
I would make a protective (like an old credit card with a space cut out, and slipped into a clear card sleeve. to protect it.
My wallet is the one thing I'd most like always have with me, or grab first if escaping a fire (after the wife and kid)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
T-Shirt said:
My wallet is the one thing I'd most like always have with me, or grab first if escaping a fire (after the wife and kid)

Yeah that is a good point, lol. I would easily grab a wallet before I would my keys. Hell, the house would be burning down.. what's the point of keys.

Still, it's an odd product, but obviously they have the advantage in that odd market.

madmat

Soup Nazi
My house would have to be a full on conflagration before I'd leave without my wallet and my PC and my keys & glasses but not in that order, at the very least I'd save the PC, the rest I can replace.