OCZ Releases Ultra-Fast 2000MHz 4GB DDR3 Kit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
DDR3 hasn't been out too long - less than a year - but it's progressed quite a bit since then. Whereas "good" 2GB kits would set you back over $500 just last summer, far superior kits can now set you back only $250, or less. Though much better, it's still difficult for adoption to speed up when quality 2GB DDR2 kits retail for well under $100. But the fact remains, DDR3 is faster, and as a result, it's the future (well, you know, until DDR4).

One problem up to now has been the lack of memory density in DDR3 kits. If you wanted to pick up 4GB worth, you were either going to have to remortgage your house, or suffer with lackluster performance. No more, says OCZ, with their latest Platinum kit, which surpasses the recently released DDR3-1800 Super Talent kit.

Just how fast is this 2x2GB kit? Would you believe 2000MHz? Yes, it's fast, and to be honest, I didn't expect to see such 2GB modules so soon. The general rule is that the higher the density and frequency, the harder it becomes to remain stable (harder being an understatement). The timings of 9-9-9-28 are highly unimpressive, but the ultra-high frequency helps make up for it. But, when realizing that the 2GB kits at those speeds use the same timings, it's a bit easier to stomach.

Pricing is not currently known, but you can expect it to hover just over $600 once it hits the channel.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ocz_ddr3_platinum_4gb2000mhz_050608.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
OCZ Platinum DDR3-2000 modules will be available in up to 4GB (2x2048MB) dual channel kits. OCZ has been working closely with the leading platform providers to ensure optimal performance and compatibility on all the next generation computing platforms.

Source: OCZ's Product Page

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Nice kit, but is there any motherboard out there capable of successfully running them at that speed? I see all kinds of people reporting even the best of the best motherboards struggling with 1600MHz+.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You make a good point, and one I should have mentioned there. I haven't overclocked all the boards I have here, but neither of the two X48 boards I've tested so far have been able to hit 500MHz. It might very well be the CPU though, so I'm going to chuck the E8400 in there later and see if the situation improves.