OCZ joins NASDAQ

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hm, OCZ is definitely one company that is climbing higher and reaching for it. It will be interesting to follow along as they expand their core focus/products and continue to grow.

TheFocusElf

Obliviot
You know what Rob, I am always actually a bit sad when a good company goes public like this - it is hard enough succeeding in business and becoming an icon as they have, but clearly they have even loftier capital-requiring ambitions and growth.

I typically find that going public, they lose the ability to act on instinct and instead have a board AND shareholders to now be accountable to. People sacrifice vision for prudence or simply play it safe and stop taking the risks that made the company on day 1.

Of course a small population of exceptions do exist and I will hope that OCZ manages to be one of those exceptions.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's hard to say at this point how it will affect the company. To be honest, the company has been changing quite a bit over the past year or two as it is, well before it joined NASDAQ. Most of that boils down to its insane focus on the SSD market. It's understandable, but it's kind of sad at the same time... no more peripherals, cooling accessories... heck, I hope RAM is still safe!

Ryan, OCZ's CEO, loves his job and loves to come up with new and innovative products, though, and I'm sure that NASDAQ membership won't do much to wreck that. It's natural for a company to want to become larger, so I sure can't fault Ryan or OCZ for that. I'm excited just to see what's in store :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As long as Ryan Petersen continues to be OCZ's CEO I'm not worried about them changing for the worse. Given what I've read about him I'm not worried about the company. It's only after he leaves that I would start to worry...