OCZ Announces PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1200 Power Supply

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Is your monster computer starting to get weak in the knees? Have a huge wad of cash in hand? Then OCZ's latest PCP&C 1200W power supply could be for you. The Turbo-Cool 1200 features a "single +12V rail" for the ultimate of stability. Being an NVIDIA SLI-certified product, the PSU features three 6-Pin and three 6/8-Pin video-card connectors, making this appropriate for ATI's highest-end cards as well.

The unit provides efficiency of 83% and features an impressive 90A on the +12V rail. I'm still not sold on the reasons for requiring such a large beast, but if you can see through the doubt, you can pick up one of these for $499. You can read the full press release below.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ocz_pcpc_1200_100407.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Sunnyvale, Calif. - October 3, 2007
- OCZ Technology Group, a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance memory and PC components, today announced the release of the Turbo-Cool 1200 power supply from PC Power & Cooling. Designed to offer the consumer market a professional-grade computer power supply, the 1200W Turbo-Cool is the ultimate power solution for those that require the very best, long-lasting, industrial-grade components for their mission-critical system or leading-edge gaming machine.

Source: OCZ Press Release

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The war on the enthusiast's dollar rages on! I can understand the psychological benefits of releasing a product like this in the minds of those who think they need something of this size, but is it needed? Matt, you might be able to fill me in a bit more on this...

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you build a machine with a Quad-Core CPU, maxed out RAM, dual 8800 Ultra's, four hard-drives, two ODDs and a slew of other peripherals, then a 1,000W would -still- be a little over the top. 800W should settle that system nicely. But 1,200W goes even beyond all of that...

I am just basing my opinions on the fact that when I stress-test the QX6850 3.0GHz and single 8800GTX at the same time, the computer pushes out a max of 405W.

NicePants42

Partition Master
PCP&C might have the best DC output quality around, but after suffering through the cacophony of my 'Silencer' 750 for the past 6 months, I don't ever plan to use a PSU with an 80mm fan again. There are other very good PSUs hitting the market now (like the TT Toughpower, to name one) that are more efficient, modular, quieter, and still have great DC output quality.

I'm holding out for OCZ to offer a water cooled PSU. PCP&C is great, but their competition caught up fast - they need to get some new innovations on the shelves if they want me to drop $400 on their units.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm holding out for OCZ to offer a water cooled PSU. PCP&C is great, but their competition caught up fast - they need to get some new innovations on the shelves if they want me to drop $400 on their units.

You said it, right there. I am not a PSU guy myself, but even if building a high-end machine, I'd likely go for a "budget" PSU, simply because many of them are extremely solid.

juGGaKNot

Obliviot
2 quad core proc / 4X9800 / 8GB ddr3 2000mhz / 4Xraptors + 4 1TB hdd etc etc 1200 W : 20 K

watching the power consumption with your friends : priceless

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
The war on the enthusiast's dollar rages on! I can understand the psychological benefits of releasing a product like this in the minds of those who think they need something of this size, but is it needed? Matt, you might be able to fill me in a bit more on this...

There are cases where a large PSU is needed, such as dual quad core CPU's, SLI with 8800 GTX/Ultra's and several (8 or so) hard drives in raid. In cases such as those the transients can push past 700W with ease and lesser PSU's can cause the machine to not boot into windows. Also running a PSU at a fraction of it's rating will lengthen life and lower noise since it won't be running nearly as hot as one running at or near capacity.

Eris

Obliviot
lol, i can see power station sensors going off at headquarters "Feed more power, Mr Bloggs needs more power".