OCZ Announces First Intel Extreme Modules

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It has been well over a year since NVIDIA first launched their EPP (Enhanced Memory Profiles) specification, but until now there hasn't been any real "competition". I put that in quotes, because it's not really a technology that has competition involved. However, NVIDIA's profiles only worked on NVIDIA-chipsets, naturally, so users of other Intel motherboard offerings were left in the dark, if they wanted that functionality.

Well thanks to a new OCZ press release, we find out that Intel will be releasing an EPP-like technology with their X38 chipset, called "Extreme Memory Profiles". It functions similarly to the way EPP did, by using spare bytes on the memory module's SPD to store enhanced profiles. In XMP's case, there are three profiles: Profile 0, Profile 1 and Profile 2. Profile 0 is JEDEC's standard, while Profile 1 is Intel's-preferred settings. Profile 2 will be up to the memory manufacturer to fill, in this case, OCZ.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ocz_xmp_ddr3_091007.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
That said, these modules will work in any computer, but XMP will only function when using an X38 motherboard. The stock settings for these particular modules is DDR3-1333 7-7-7, but Intel's special settings overclock them to DDR3-1600 8-8-8. OCZ further tweaks this setting by refining the timings to 7-6-6, although I am unsure at what voltage this is accomplished. EPP and the like have limited usefulness to enthusiast overclockers, but for those who don't want to dabble with overclocking at all but still want super-fast settings, XMP could prove to be quite a hit. We will have a review of these modules sometime next month, so stay tuned. Hit up the press release below for more info.

Sunnyvale, Calif. - September 10, 2007 - OCZ Technology Group, a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory, today announced production of the industry’s first Intel Extreme Memory modules, a new memory solution that implements a high-performance specification optimized and predefined for the impending Intel X38 chipset.

Source: OCZ Press Release

NicePants42

Partition Master
Are there any details as to how these XMPs will be enabled with the BIOS? Specifically, when an XMP is loaded from the memory, I want to assume that the timings will be visible in the BIOS. Overclocking memory has always been a PITA for me because there are so many settings to deal with. I like the idea of XMPs not only because of the easy OC, but because of the potential for having a performance baseline for the dozen or so timing setting that I don't mess with. If all I have to worry about are CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS and CMD because other timings like tCLK, tWTF, tOMG, and tBBQ are already set for maximum OC headroom, that would be great.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Like EPP, I don't think XMP will list the settings in the BIOS, but instead, I believe that the tuning utility in Windows will show all of that. This will be dependent on the motherboard provider though. Intel is not releasing that software to the public because it requires perfect operation with each individual BIOS, so it's up to the board manufacturer to take their base application and make it work. So far I haven't seen this.

Once I get some capable memory, I will be able to verify this. I agree though, I dislike tackling all of the secondary timings as well... it's just a huge waste of time for such little gain (that you will never likely notice anyway). The first four are the most important, by far.