OCZ Acquires PC Power & Cooling

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We've just received word from Jessica at OCZ that they have just acquired what is arguably the biggest brand in high-quality power supplies, PCP&C. This acquisition means a lot for them, most notably that they are really focusing on pushing out quality power supplies, not just memory. As it stands, their current PSU line-up will remain unchanged, but rather PCP&C will simply take the highest-end spot in their line-up.

As for PCP&C, nothing will happen with their power supplies. They will remain individual in the respect that they will keep doing what they are doing. However, with PCP&C in-house, it will benefit OCZ's future line-up, since the expertise will be available.

Congrats to OCZ for an amazing purchase. The next few months are going to prove mighty interesting!

NicePants42

Partition Master
Nice. I'll tell you what I hope OCZ does with PCP&C.

Here's an email I sent to OCZ back on March 1st, shortly after OCZ released their XLC memory kits that came with optional water cooling:
'Flex XLC for a PSU - Internal structure of PCP&C 1KW-SR may allow for air and water.'

Good morning. I just wanted to forward an idea I had while looking at the internals of the PCP&C 1KW PSU.

Here's a thread
I started at JonnyGURU's forums about making a silent yet beefy (1KW) PSU using water. The idea might not be new, but I figured it couldn't hurt to suggest it anyway. It seems to me that if anyone would be interested in it for manufacturing purposes, it'd be OCZ. Might be something for your product development guys to kick around.

Nate M
The thread I linked explains it all, but with the release of the X3 and TT ToughPower 1200 since then, I'm not so sure that optional water cooling for a PSU would have enough of an impact on noise (considering that the X3 and TT are already very quiet) to make them a good value. Still, I'd be thrilled if OCZ tried it, as long as they made sure that the 'sinks were COPPER. With the right external water setup, a PCP&C PSU could not only blow away the [H] torture test (while maintaining <3% ripple), it could do it silently.

Last edited:

moon111

Coastermaker
My Superflower has a 14 cm fan on it. It's a whisper if anything. Three speed settings. I'd like to see all PSU's using 14cm fans. Wish bigger fans were available.

moon111

Coastermaker
The big fans seem to be available to manufacturers, but I haven't seen anything big available as a single unit. I like the entire face being a row of 5.25" bays, but I don't like the 'wings' on that Thermaltake case. The side panel is also one of the ugliest I've seen. If I were buying that case, it would only be to mod the ugly duckling into a swan.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I bought a super cheap generic case with a 240mm fan on the side panel without all that ugly crap and windows.

As for OCZ, nice way to take advatage of the competition, buy them and enjoy their profits as well! (Not meant to be a slam).