OC Team Italy hits 8GHz on 631

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We reported a while back about how OC Team Italy had unpacked it golden Pentium 4 631 to throw some liquid nitrogen on it. With a non-modified ASUS P5B motherboard they managed to reach a whopping 7520MHz, but pointed out that the motherboard made it impossible to go any further. Now that they have once again mounted the copper pipe and made the necessary voltage modifications, the liquid nitrogen once again did its thing and made it possible for them to finally reach 8000MHz! We bow and congratulate them for this historical achievement and we're eager to see if this will remain the record or if more will bring out their Pentium 4s.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,5505.html

Insane is all I can say. 8GHz on a 3GHz chip is truly amazing. Though, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a $200 C2D and watch it kick it's ass?

peti1212

Obliviot
How is it possible to overclock something like that if a CPU has a limit in the Voltage and all that. I know that you can deal with the heat, but what do you do with the voltage?

MakubeX

Partition Master
How is it possible to overclock something like that if a CPU has a limit in the Voltage and all that. I know that you can deal with the heat, but what do you do with the voltage?
They vmod to overcome the voltage limits. In other words, mod the motherboard to gain more voltage.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, well OC Team DarkSynergy hit 3.6GHz on a 2.4GHz chip the other day. Suck it!

Seriously, thats definitely a mind blowing frequency. Kudos to them for the hard work.