NVIDIA's Huang Discusses His Distaste for Intel

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
NVIDIA's CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, is a vocal man. If something rubs him the wrong way, he'll let the world know about it. You have to respect that, especially when he's not afraid to tell the industry at large that Intel's wrong. We first learned of his intense angst towards Intel just last month, where during an analyst meeting, he was quoted as saying that NVIDIA was planning to "open a can of whoop ass".

C|Net's Brooke Crothers sat down with Huang to pick at his brain for a while, and we can still see that he has no fear of the big blue. Rather, he believes Intel has a reason to be wary of them. He also claims that Larrabee is nothing more than a pipe dream right now, and looks good on paper only. When questioned about his recent outpouring of distaste for Intel, Huang said, "The fact of the matter is that they're out spouting things that are just not true. And I was just correcting that".

Huang believes that other companies keep quiet based on the fact that Intel is just too large to battle against, and are somewhat of a monopoly on the market. He also goes on to mention that Intel pushes products that no one needs (Quad-Cores, namely), and furthered that statement with, "We would love it if people would buy more GPUs, but the fact of the matter is, we don't have Intel's budget to tell you to buy something you don't need".

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
jen-hsun_huang_nvidia_041108.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"Selecting the right GPU for the right CPU--and having these two processors collaborate. We call it the optimized PC design," he continued. "Notice, we didn't call it 'increase your GPU' design. Notice we didn't go 'buy more quad cores.' It's not a market benefit message. The optimized PC asks what your work flow is. Take the work flow, and benchmark it on the machine. And decide for yourself."

Source: Nanotech: The Circuits Blog

madmat

Soup Nazi
I like how he claims that he's not telling people to buy more GPU's yet there was SLI then quad SLI then tri-SLI and now quad SLI V.2.

Try and sell me that fib when you can build a single GPU that will render the most demanding games at 2560x1600, full details and full AF/AA and not use 120W, 150W, 175W or 200W doing it and then (and only then) will I buy it. Until then I gotta call shens.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
And......Yeah....What Mat said
Quit pussy-footing around Nvidia :cool:
Get a card out there that can play anything with HDRI

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What is sort of funny... AMD released K8, then decided to use the same design for the next 5 years while they focused on building/improving fabs, and basically made only minor changes to their K8 design. If NVIDIA indeed does release 9900GTX as a 40/55nm G92b derivative, it'll be two years with NVIDIA using the same G80 design. At least GT200 is supposed to be here eventually, otherwise I'd start to seriously question NVIDIA.