NVIDIA's GeForce 285.27 Beta Driver Boosts Performance Up to 13%

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
NVIDIA has just released its latest GeForce beta driver, version 285.27. The major focus here is SLI-related performance improvements, with gains of up to 13% being seen when using dual GTX 580s. The 13% boost affects Metro 2033, while Call of Duty: Black Ops, Civilization V, Crysis 2, F1 2010, Lost Planet 2, Mafia II, STALKER: Call of Pripyat, and StarCraft II will see performance gains of 5~8%.

evga_geforce_gtx580_091311.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I can't wait to try those out when they become WHQL, but generally they don't keep that same performance gain most of the time it goes down, however sometimes it does go up.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Why are people so scared of "beta" drivers? ffs they are typically the EXACT SAME drivers as what is sent to MS to get WHQL. Especially under water, not like your cards fan can stop working.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Why are people so scared of "beta" drivers? ffs they are typically the EXACT SAME drivers as what is sent to MS to get WHQL. Especially under water, not like your cards fan can stop working.

Some people just have patience. I sure don't :D

I run betas exclusively for some reason... it's just in my blood.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Actually, I had this happen with 280.26. Not even Safe Mode worked.... Removed my SSD and put in an old SSD review sample, installed a clean Windows 7 install, installed the 280.26 drivers.... boom. Same exact problem, no display (would have sound) or I had a display, but the system would lock shortly after reaching desktop. Safe Mode wouldn't load at all.

I've been meaning to test this a bit more, but given it should never have broken Safe Mode to begin with, I'm not even sure what to think anymore. Windows Safe Mode loads a generic VGA driver, so it shouldn't have ever happened... I ripped out the NVIDIA drivers and burned them to a cinder, then reinstalled 266.58.... boom, system was working again like nothing ever happened.

Of course, 280.26 were WHQL, so I guess it doesn't apply to beta drivers. :D I've run plenty of beta drivers, but I've gotten to the point where once I find a good driver I don't upgrade for awhile. Used 266.58, then after trying 270 I noticed F@H performance dropped by ~15% and game performance dropped 5-10% for my games, so I've just been using 266.58 since Feb. :p

Last edited:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Nope, just got the beast in today. I dropped it in and its nice. It only took like 8 hours, but I modded the case A LOT along the way, had to drain and redo my tubing, etc. Anyways so far its great and HOT lol, as soon as my old cards sell then I will be grabbing a block for it.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Nope, just got the beast in today. I dropped it in and its nice. It only took like 8 hours, but I modded the case A LOT along the way, had to drain and redo my tubing, etc. Anyways so far its great and HOT lol, as soon as my old cards sell then I will be grabbing a block for it.
but but but but.......... why not get a GTX570?!? :D

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
dude.... a 570 is WEAK. The VRMs SUCK and I bet it costs more than what I paid for my 480 as well as this will probably OC a lot further.