NVIDIA's CEO Talks Netbooks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
With there being so much talk about Netbooks everywhere, care to know what NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang thinks about them, and also about his main competition? Laptop Mag sat down with him to see what was happening with ION in netbooks, and even Tegra (a technology we previewed last summer), to find out when we'll begin seeing more NVIDIA in our small PCs.

One major complaint Jensen has towards netbooks is that they don't run popular applications from well-known developers, such as Adobe, that well. My question is, though, who plans on running that kind of application on a netbook anyway? Netbooks are designed to supplement your main PC or other notebook, not replace it. But, I wouldn't complain if there was more power to be had, even with a 10" notebook, I can say that much.

This interview goes on to ask how much cost adding an ION to a netbook would cost, and the response is $30 - $40. I have to admit, that's not too bad, and considering that ION replaces both the Northbridge and Southbridge, the increase probably wouldn't even look that high. The interview goes into greater detail about Jensen's thoughts, including whether or not he believes Intel is discouraging vendors from considering ION. It's worth the read.

nvidia_ion_techgage_businesscard_012909.jpg

I've heard all kinds of stories about what Intel is doing. I've brushed it off so far as rumors, as I couldn't understand why Intel would limit great PCs from reaching the market. Great PCs help Intel. Great PCs help humanity. Great PCs are great for the entire industry and entire market. What the industry needs are products that really excite consumers, so that even in these difficult times they'll come back to buy PCs.

Source: Laptop Mag, Via: CrunchGear