NVIDIA Shows Off PhysX in Batman: Arkham City

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob Williams, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    After its release in 2009, Batman: Arkham Asylum gained the reputation of being one of the best superhero games ever created (but to be fair, it shouldn't have been hard to pull off given most superhero games are not worth the packaging wrapped around them). The game not only had solid graphics and audio, but its gameplay matched, and overall, the experience was as immersive as we could hope any game to be.

[​IMG]

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

2. MacMan

MacMan Partition Master

Mar 14, 2007
    Canada
    Holy Batman!, after viewing the trailer I have to agree, this thing is like totally awesome! Other than the occasional game of Bejeweld 3, or Solitaire, I don't care to play games at all, but I love to try this thing out myself just to relish in its totally awesome physics. Games surely have come a long way from the simple days of Pong and Pacman that's for sure!

3. TheCrimsonStar

TheCrimsonStar Tech Monkey

Apr 12, 2010
    Strawberry Plains, TN
    Oh...I am so getting this. Even if I have to get some sort of mod to run an NVIDIA card for physx with my AMD card...I will get it. [/nerd]

4. Doomsday

Doomsday Tech Junkie

Nov 24, 2008
    KHI, PAK
    Damn! Another reason I should have gone Nvidia!! :(
    Well, perhaps next year! :D

5. Optix

Optix Basket Chassis Staff Member

Dec 15, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hmm...perhaps I should rethink my upgrade. :p

I know the reason why they chose to compare an 8800 and a 560 but that's like comparing apples to oranges unless there simply is no option to disable PhysX with the better card.

6. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    A PhysX comparison on both cards would have gone a long way, I think. Chances are that the PhysX effects on the 8800 GT / 9800 GT just isn't possible for performance's sake, but with no direct apples-to-apples comparison, it's hard to see the true differences.

The same thing applies to NVIDIA's releasing of the tessellated screenshot in the same article. Without a "before" shot, it makes it difficult to appreciate (in truth, it doesn't look that great to begin with).

7. Kayden

Kayden Tech Monkey

Sep 13, 2010
    CA
    If any one is paying attention to steam it just went on sale there and if you all ready own Batman Arkham Asylum through steam you get 20% off!! I only paid $39.99 for this last night and I was on the fence about getting it but I decided to bite the bullet and get it.

I felt that way about DEHR and I agree with you here that's for damn sure.

8. killem2

killem2 Coastermaker

Jan 5, 2010
    Another game, I'll have to hack to get the stuff to work on an ATI card. /cry