NVIDIA Rolling Out 40nm GPUs in 2009

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
According to leaked documents seen by VR-Zone, NVIDIA is preparing to roll out their first 40nm graphics processors this spring, beginning with the high-end GT212. To launch 40nm so soon would be a rather impressive feat, given that few current GPUs from NVIDIA are even using 55nm, and neither of their GT200 series are, until the launch of the GTX 285/295 in early January.

The first 40nm chip will be, as mentioned, the GT212. Although the model code is all that's known about the card, it's going to be a high-end offering that will likely replace both the performance and high-end GT200 models available now, and also the upcoming launches in January. If the roadmap proves true, then both the GTX 295 and 285 will be short-lived, although at this point, it's hard to judge whether the revision will be that much faster.

Past that, NVIDIA will be rolling out 40nm to the rest of their line-up in the fall, with the GT214, GT216, GT218 and also the integrated IGT209. By late next fall, all of NVIDIA's current offerings should be built on the 40nm node. Also according to the roadmap, we'll see the first major follow-up to the GT200 in the form of the GT300 in Q4 2009, but it's too early to speculate what else aside from the 40nm node it would include.

nvidia_gtx_295_122908.jpg

This transition to 40nm will first take place with their high end GT212 GPU in Q2 follows by the mainstream GT214 and GT216 as well as value GT218 in Q3. GT212 will be replacing the 55nm GT200 so you can expect pretty short lifespan for the upcoming GTX295 and GTX285 cards.

Source: VR-Zone

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I wasn't sure what the GT212 was supposed to be... is it really a replacement for the GT200 or just a comparable card? I'm not sure how a single GT212 is supposed to take on a GTX 295 let alone replace one... That's be great to see though!

Anyone else going to bet the GT212 uses GDDR5...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's hard to say what the GT212 will be... perhaps we'll be told a bit more about it at CES. It does seem odd that it would be a direct replacement, but who knows.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
my GPU used to idle at around 45-47 C but lately around a month ago its idle temps have gone up to 53-55 C. i thought it might be the dust factor so i used a blower to clean it up but the idle temps r the same 53-55 C!
is this normal?!?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
my GPU used to idle at around 45-47 C but lately around a month ago its idle temps have gone up to 53-55 C. i thought it might be the dust factor so i used a blower to clean it up but the idle temps r the same 53-55 C!
is this normal?!?
Did the ambient air temp change ?

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
it only fell during the 3 months winter but now its back to the normal summer temps. as it was when i bought the card last August. during the winter my idle temps fell to around 40-42C. they came back to 45-47C when summer came back though.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It is that time of year. My temps have raised considerably (about 10 degrees) simply because it's no longer 30 degrees outside.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
it only fell during the 3 months winter but now its back to the normal summer temps. as it was when i bought the card last August. during the winter my idle temps fell to around 40-42C. they came back to 45-47C when summer came back though.
Inside air temps and humidity cause the temps to rise in the late spring and summer.
You could put a dehumidifier in the room to remove moisture and set thermostat cooler.
With those temp you have now, should be okay.
You COULD go water cooling to bring them down a little more.
OR just put the computer in the freezer with all the wires hanging out ( J/K )