NVIDIA Most Responsible for Early Vista Crashes

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
According to some fresh Microsoft reports, we can now see what caused most of the reported crashes after the consumer launch of Vista last January. Intel and ATI both claimed 9% of the responsibility each, according to Microsoft, while they themselves were responsible for 17.9%. The biggest share belongs to NVIDIA, whose driver failures were responsible for a staggering 28.8%.

This doesn't come as a huge surprise to me, because as I was working on our gaming performance reports pre-launch, I experienced an incident where an NVIDIA driver caused Vista to completely crash, which proved unrecoverable. As we discovered in that same article, performance was also lacking, so there was a definite problem.

Luckily, that's been all sorted out, though it did take a few months. It was a time when ATI actually had quite an advantage with reasonably stable drivers, but as it stands now, both companies have very stable drivers under the OS (even though ATI's takes three times as long to install).

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
nvidia_company_logo_large.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
As part of the ongoing Vista Capable class action lawsuit, Microsoft released data on exactly what drivers caused the bulk of logged Windows Vista crashes. The number one culprit of Vista crashes related to driver failure was NVIDIA at 28.8%. Microsoft only broke logged crashes out for a few companies including NVIDIA, Intel (8.8%) and ATI (9.3%). Microsoft’s data shows that it was responsible for 17.9% of logged crashes.

Source: DailyTech

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Thats probably what happened when I had Crysis settings on Very High.
A message saying " Display Driver has recovered from an Error "

But it hasnt happened again. Awesome

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Having an error like that without overclocking is unusual. Even if the game can't handle a certain resolution, I see no reason why it would crash.

The big problems are over with. In the early Vista days, you had to be very careful, else you might wind up with a broken system. I am glad those days are done with (until Windows 7, of course).