NVIDIA joins the Linux Foundation

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
In a surprising announcement today, The Linux Foundation made it known that NVIDIA has become a member of this nonprofit consortium of companies tasked with the promotion and growth of the Linux operating system. NVIDIA joins its name to such companies as IBM, Intel or AMD.

nvidia_linux_030812.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
After reading through the press release, it seems to be very mobile centric, so this anouncement is likely to do with bringing better support to Android, rather than Linux in general. More so, about Tegra support, rather than NVIDIA's desktop graphics line. We can still want and wish, but we'll have to see in time what NVIDIA actually plans to do.

marfig

No ROM battery
I sure hope not.

I had to go through another read of the press release. And I can see where this is seen:

NVIDIA is strongly committed to enabling world-class experiences and innovation with our GPU and mobile products. Membership in The Linux Foundation will accelerate our collaboration with the organizations and individuals instrumental in shaping the future of Linux, enabling a great experience for users and developers of Linux

I think it's a matter of interpretation and a poor choice of words on behalf of Scott Pritchett, VP of Linux Platform Software (unless it's intentional to leave us wondering).

NVIDIA knows very well the impact it has on the PC GPU market, so saying "GPU and mobile products" can only be constructed as speaking of two distinct products, one being mobile and the other being desktop/server platforms.

But I can certainly agree it can be also interpreted as being exclusively about mobile products. I just don't want to believe that.

This would be a terrible move by NVIDIA, in my humble opinion. And could bring in a lot of flak.