Nvidia 9800 Rumors

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
By Q4 2007 (Xmas) NVIDIA will be releasing their GeForce 9800 series GPUs.
Unlike previously expected the codename for nVidia's next generation GPU will NOT be "G90" but instead be "G92".

G92 will be released in November 2007 timeframe in the form of "GeForce 9800" series.

"G92" GeForce 9800 GTX specs.

- 65nm process technology at TSMC.
- Over one billion transistors.
- Second Generation Unified Shader Architecture.
- Double precsion support (FP64).
- GPGPU native.
- Over one TeraFLOPS of shader processing power.
- MADD+ADD configuration for the shader untis (2+1 FLOPS=3 FLOPS per ALU)
- Fully Scalar design.
- 512-bit memory interface.
- 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory.
- DirectX 10.1 support.
- OpenGL 3.0 Support.
- eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA".
- built in Audio Chip.
- built in tesselation unit (in the graphics core"
- Improved AA and AF quality levels

Pros.

65nm process will allow for better yields and better power consumption. power consumption will be lower than that of a GeForce 8800 GTX.

GeForce 9800 GTX will be over two times faster than a GeForce 8800 Ultra in real world games and applcations.

Release date : November 2007. There will be TWO products at launch: The flagship GeForce 9800 GTX and the second fastest GeForce 9800 GTS.

price for the GeForce 9800 GTX will be 549-649 USD.

price for the GeForce 9800 GTS will be 399-449 USD.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Man, another posting based off the inquirer's crap. If you guys believe this one, you deserve the disappointment.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
GeForce 9800 GTX will be over two times faster than a GeForce 8800 Ultra in real world games and applcations.

That is just a little too hard to believe. Built-in audio chip? What good would that have in a graphics card?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I think the "built in audi chip" is HDMI sound like the HD2x00's have. Either way, I have major doubt Nvidia even has such a "monster" ready for release. If you ask me, they are just pushing some "misinformation" out to get ATI to show their hand early.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
To start out with a bit of a disclaimer, I would like to say that I have not researched this at all so everything I say is pure speculation.

First off, is this that hard to believe? I dont quite see a 2 fold performance increase but we already have CPUs built with 65nm tech. We are close to seeing CPUs with a Billion transistors on them (Intel has them already in the lab) and we are already seeing card from AMD that are DirectX 10.1 compliant, as well as cards with a full GB of RAM. The specs are not at all far fetched. The only thing I have a tough time believing is the performance specs... but I have been wrong before.

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
All the latest "news" is that the cards will be a mid level refresh. All the major sites are posting this now. I definitely would not expect a new high end card, just some much better midrange cards.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
All the latest "news" is that the cards will be a mid level refresh. All the major sites are posting this now. I definitely would not expect a new high end card, just some much better midrange cards.

Good. I am still loving my single 8800GTX... I'd hate to think I need to upgrade that beast already. Any game I've tested runs just fine on max resolution of a 30" monitor with lots of eye candy.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Nope. That GTX is gonna kick ass and take names for some time to come. I just financed a Dell 2407WFP-HC and my HD2900 XT is lovin it. The world does need new midrange cards since they are all crap for the money right now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hear you there. I am not sure if it's a part of being spoiled by the 8800GTX or not, but the 8600GT/GTS cards are so lackluster by comparison...