Now HERE'S a shipment...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Prior to our IDF and NVISION trip, I requested four hard drives from Seagate for use in our benchmarking rigs, and when I got home, they were there waiting for me. Usually, this is non-eventful, but just check out the photo!

Yes, that really is a half pallet, and four boxes. For four OEM hard drives...

Attachments

• shipment.jpg
    shipment.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 764

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That... is simply astounding. If those are normal 7200RPM drives, it probably cost Seagate more to ship that thing then it did to build all of the drives in total.

I bet your cat secretly ordered a few extra things and had it discreetly hidden in your HDD order. It's the only logical explanation, and explains that pleased expression...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If those are normal 7200RPM drives, it probably cost Seagate more to ship that thing then it did to build all of the drives in total.

I have absolutely no doubt that this shipment cost far more than the drives themselves (4x500GB 7200.11), mainly because it came directly from their factory in China. I've sent small packages to Australia and the surrounding area before, and that is expensive, so I don't want to know what it was for this ridiculous mess, haha.

Did the cat come with! :p :D

Haha, no. But she was quick as heck to jump on there for a photo op.

slugbug

Coastermaker
That's insane. I got a power supply from Cooler Master the other day and the box was big enough to fit ten in it. They must have used over 50 feet of brown packing paper to fill the empty space.

Krazy K

Partition Master
That's insane. I got a power supply from Cooler Master the other day and the box was big enough to fit ten in it. They must have used over 50 feet of brown packing paper to fill the empty space.

Did your work? My PC Power silencer 750 showed up DOA. But they included a test certificate to show me how well it worked before it was shipped, pretty nice of them huh?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did your work? My PC Power silencer 750 showed up DOA. But they included a test certificate to show me how well it worked before it was shipped, pretty nice of them huh?

The way some shipping companies actually handle the shipments doesn't impress me, so the fact yours was DOA is not surprising. I have found FedEX to be pretty reliable, while UPS is not. It might be a completely different story depending on where you live, though.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Hm, that is also very good proof that the shipping carrier would of had to really be trying to break your package in order to kill one of those power supplies just by shaking it.

I had my PC P&C 750w Quad Silencer shipped to me in the standard white cardboard box they used to use to package them and it arrived okay. Sorry to hear you weren't so lucky Krazy K. (Made sure to try it on a different system?)

Drew

E.M.I.
You better not order any cases without asking the shipping dimensions... It would be awfully expensive to install a Bay door for a transport in your place.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You better not order any cases without asking the shipping dimensions... It would be awfully expensive to install a Bay door for a transport in your place.

Haha, tell me about it! Not to mention the noise would be less-than-desirable.

moon111

Coastermaker
While talking to an exec at Western Digital, he told me their failure rate for drives in the lab were outstanding. Most problems come from shipping. Perhaps Seagate didn't want to see bad press?

As for couriers, for most part I've been impressed. But one review sample I recieved was shipped via DHL. They proceeded to stuff the package in the mailbox which was smaller then the box. They bent the mailbox, broke one mount off, and damaged the package. Thankfully the product wasn't harmed. It was the first time I've recieved something and didn't have to sign for it.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'd make DHL pay for the box... pisses me off to no end to find something bent completely in two stuffed inside our mailbox here by the USPS guys.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As for couriers, for most part I've been impressed. But one review sample I recieved was shipped via DHL. They proceeded to stuff the package in the mailbox which was smaller then the box. They bent the mailbox, broke one mount off, and damaged the package. Thankfully the product wasn't harmed. It was the first time I've recieved something and didn't have to sign for it.

Whoa, there is NO excuse for that. Actually damaging your property? I'd take that up with the shipping company for sure... it's their doing and no one elses, so you'd have a case.