Noob Question

bruceking66

Obliviot
I have a LGA775 mobo with 3ghz dual core processor.
PC was over heating greatly due to failed water cooler.
Before, I figured that out, I tried to update the BIOS, which I have done a few times before. This time it wouldn't work, and then shutdown again.
Not during a BIOS update though!, but after windows loaded.

So how could I know if the CPU or mobo was damaged or not.
Whats the signs?, I am recieving a new CPU cooler tomorrow afternoon....

Thanks, glad I found this site! :D

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I've been here :(

First, I wouldn't power up again until the new cooler is installed.

After it is installed, immediately go into bios & check out what it indicates the CPU temp is. All or definitely most bios' have that some place.

Assuming you get this far, you can have warm :) feelings that the CPU is good AND the mobo. The further assumption at this point is that the quick shut down was due to the degraded water cooling & the CPU temp rose to shut down temp.

If it won't come up at all, I would buy the cheapest LGA775 CPU I could find to test with. pricewatch.com shows a Celeron at $21 shipped. Get more thermal grease. Even cheap grease since you won't have the CPU in that long.

If that works then you know that it was likely the old CPU. If not, then of course it is probably the mobo ... I can't imagine what scenario the mobo could still be good with a "known" good CPU installed.

I suppose that there is the off chance that you could have a failing HDD and/or PSU, in which case things will still be randomly screwy but with increasing frequency in either case. I've been here too! :mad: