Nintendo Warns of 3DS Use for Children Under 6

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
As evidenced throughout 2010, "3D" is a rather big thing. Countless Hollywood productions featured 3D versions, and the same can be said for PC and console games. In talking to many people about it over the past year, many of them seem to enjoy the 3D aspect, and would easily prefer 3D over non-3D. With that, it'd be easy to accept that 3D is cool for the whole family, but there's a catch... children under the age of 6 should wait.

nintendo_ds_lite_010311.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I read an article that warned against prolonged exposure to 3D media because it can rewire the way you view non 3D thing such as every day life. The first and only 3D movie I watched, Avatar, left both my wife and I with a headache for about a day after so for me it is a take it or leave it fad that I hope just disappears.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This is why companies are introducing variable 3D effects, so you have the option to turn it off if you wish. I believe the 3DS has this slider available that allows you to control the depth of the 3D effect. There is also research about the various effects used, like objects flying towards you are more likely to induce headaches and nausea.. you know, the kind of effect used by every 3D game and movie to make sure you know it's 3D. Objects moving away is fine though... Just means we have to play all racing games and FPSs via a rear view mirror.

Though it begs the question... what comes after this 3D fad... even with the glasses issue cleaned up... i know OLED!! No wait... that looks exactly the same as we have now... but better!!

OLED Super HD 8k 3D TV without glasses...
OLED Ultra HD 24k 3D TV without glasses...
OLED Ultra HD 24k 3D Smellovision 29.7 sub orbital wireless surround sound, fully immersive home theatre multimedia 'bubble'. You don't watch the TV, you're INSIDE!!

Holographic projections? That's sooooo 1977 'save the princess'-esque...Brainwave altering, content restricted villainous mastermind a-la 1995's Batman's Riddler.... that's more like it...

No, I'm not pessimistic at all.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Mmparis_noghost.png

Curse my fanaticism...

For those that don't quite get it.... Ghost in the Shell... although the poster itself is about something else entirely.