Nintendo Stomps the Competition with November Sales

madstork91

The One, The Only...
hey... im a gameplay groper.

I really do call you a graphics fag with love.

Each of the two desires has had a lot to do with the development of games respectively. And I wasn't trying to get personal with that remark.

As for the sandbox games,

Pretty much every game in which an entire section is loaded at one time (with a possible varying levels of detail, LOD) in which that section has TONS of stuff to do and interact with, but can be ignored completely.

The newest spider man games, nearly all of the GTA's to my recolection, Bully, and a few other games that im sure I am forgetting would all be considered "sandbox" games.

To a certain extent this can be argued to apply to L4D because of the way the handle the city in the no mercy campaign; though argued against because there is a clearly defined point and ignoring it does end in defeat.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, I would guess that sandbox mode is kind of easy for non-linear games that offer many routes or areas to explore. L4D is interesting, but I don't think it is in sandbox mode... Levels only load one at a time, and zombies/tanks/witches do not spawn beyond a certain radius. As they are killed, more of them will spawn a certain distance away. And for example with the Mercy Hospital elevator scene... zombies will not spawn until you leave the elevator. Those zombies left at the lower floor do not climb up to continue to attack either.

Which means if you are playing versus mode and a boomer drops into the elevator with you or hits you as the doors open, as long as you stay inside the elevator there will be no horde...