Nine Inch Nails Online Distribution Proves Successful

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Even if you are not a fan of Nine Inch Nails, it's hard not to be impressed by their determination to please their fans and displease the record industry. We posted just the other day that the band has released their latest album via exceptional distribution methods, and the question of whether or not that would be successful is now known.

In just two days, the website sold out of the $300 Limited Edition set, which included the LPs and extra photo book, along with Trent Reznors signature. Doing simple math, that amounts to a staggering $750,000... in just a few days! To say that this has been successful so far is an understatement, and that figure is only from the Limited Edition set - it does not count the regular CD sales or the Deluxe Edition, which is the edition I purchased and am now kicking myself for since I should have gone for the Limited Edition...

Still, this really goes to show just how successful online distribution can be. Granted, NIN is an established band who has a massive following already, so this kind of thing would be a little more difficult for an indie or commercial band. But, as one would expect, where there is great music, there are fans, and ultimately, there will be purchases.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
nin_ghostsithruiv_030308.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

Source: Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I - IV