NewEgg Preparing to Launch Canadian Counterpart

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Living in Canada can avail unique experiences for a tech-head. It's hard to read forums and not see some reference to NewEgg, which of course has never offered shipping to Canucks. With a recent move, they even stopped accepting Canadian credit cards for products that were to be shipped to the US, so their Canadian support has been less-than-stellar up to this point.

Well, that changes soon. The company have just launched a Canadian version of the website, although it's simply a splash page at this point, with a note that it will launch sometime this year. I'm curious as to whether or not they will actually have warehouses in Canada or not, but given the fact that there has always been demand for a Canadian NewEgg, chances are they need one.

Though there are many large e-tailers in the US, NewEgg still remains the second-largest. In Canada, there is much less competition, and NCIX.com and a few smaller ones have been the leaders for quite some time. How NewEgg's entry into the Canadian market will affect them remains yet to be seen, but it's no doubt got them thinking.

Despite that, all I can say about the situation right now is, 'finally'.

newegg_canada_072908.jpg

We define an excellent shopping experience to be one that combines unsurpassed product selection, abundant product information and fair pricing. With thousands of tech products in stock and numerous tools to help customers make informed buying decisions (detailed specs, how-to’s, customer reviews and photo galleries), we have earned the loyalty of tech-enthusiasts and novice e-shoppers alike.

Source: NewEgg Canada

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Wow, I am gone for a few weeks and sooooo much news is out. If you ask me, this is almost meaningless since Newegg is certain to charge "Canadian" prices and unless they have either a warehouse or service center inside Canada, we'll get killed with import fees. Competition is good, I just have a tough time seeing where they will fit in since our market is just plain strange at best.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I wonder how good their shipping will be? I only mention it because I'm getting annoyed at waiting a full week for anything I order to show up, Newegg is famous for their quick shipping, unless ya live in Texas. They ship to Texas from California, so "3 business day" shipping turns into 5 days, not counting weekends.

Ordered a new GPU, then ordered watercooling parts for it from Jab-tech... both shipped on Thursday, and I had my WC parts by Saturday. GPU will finally makes it in at 6-8pm tonight, since I live close to the main SA hub the trucks deliver to me on the way back in from the day. So annoying!!

Does that seem a bit aggravating, or am I just getting spoiled? ;)

Edit: Bah, ya snuck your post in under mine. Newegg is a $1billion+ revenue company, their market is pretty solidly mainstream these days. But you are right, it will be interesting to see what sort of taxes get inccured for the Canucks.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
LOL!! Waiting for parts........ We wait anywhere from 1-5 days for orders to even be processed. This is where Newegg could win some customers over.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just want to see more competition. NCIX was the first Canadian e-tailer I ever used, and I came to love their service and site, but lately, there are so many product-types that they simply don't have. I've been lightly looking for a good microphone for example... there's virtually no selection on their site. NewEgg has an incredible selection.

Regardless, the more competition, the better. As for shipping, it USED to kick ass. I used to order something and get it in my hands in two days... now there's usually a two day wait before it's even shipped out.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Actually, I think Newegg's selection isn't so hot. They expanded their watercooling section, but it simple fails for any real watercooling enthusiast. They are also highly brand oriented... For example you will never find anything by Noctua there. They simply do not carry any Noctua hardware at all.

Their shipping also used to be better with FedEx, before they changed over, at least when delivering to me. My orders almost always ship out the same day if I order before 1ish or thereabouts... but then UPS sits on the package for 5-6 days. Not to mention every single package is crumpled now, but I digress...

The only saving grace IMO is that Newegg does try (and now has the clout as a $2billion revenue company) to get first dibs on new hardware launches. But mostly the coupon codes... if you use sites like fatwallet you can get all sorts of deals.

Like an eVGA GTX 260 for $215 shipped, $225 without the second $10 rebate. Was a "Superclocked" model, light factory OC to 280 clocks, and it also came with 3DMark Vantage tossed in. The bloody thing finally got delivered today. :) (Those cards are fricking heavy!!)

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
They've been good to us the past 2 years. Everything arrives under 5 days, RMAs are painless, and cheaper than the brick-and-mortar stores.

Although, during winter I wouldn't mind living in Texas :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I try to avoid UPS at all costs up here in Canada as well, but I won't get into all of the reasons here. Like you, most packages I receive via UPS are also in rough shape... some even look kicked in (literally), so I'm glad I'm not alone there.

I still could agree that their selection could be better, but at least they have a solid selection of things to begin with. Half of the stuff I want from NCIX are 'special orders', and it's a pain in the ass. I want to buy a decent mic for the PC, but neither NCIX nor any other e-tailer seems to have a good selection. Any store around here also sucks... unless I want some Logitech USB mic, which I don't.

I guess there's just no such thing as a perfect e-tailer, but we knew that.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Like an eVGA GTX 260 for $215 shipped, $225 without the second $10 rebate. Was a "Superclocked" model, light factory OC to 280 clocks, and it also came with 3DMark Vantage tossed in. The bloody thing finally got delivered today. :) (Those cards are fricking heavy!!)
How do you like the 260?
I have a 280 on the truck scheduled for delivery today
From Newegg, ordered Weds night ( midnight )

Merlin

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, they do have a good selection for computer hardware itself, the best really. Can't fault that.

How do you like the 260?
I have a 280 on the truck scheduled for delivery today
From Newegg, ordered Weds night ( midnight )

Merlin

I've had problems with it. Using ATI Tool temps hit 104c before I quickly killed the program in a panic. I have not found an explanation I am happy with yet for this... fan speed is default at 40%, I overrode it and set it at 71% but temps for F@H were still 79c... would have been higher still with ATI Tool.

Also I discovered that all GT200 cards use PLASTIC to cool the 7 or 8 memory chips on the backside of the card. Yep, solid plastic, with thermal tape even. I don't know why they bothered with the thermal tape... I highly suggest you look into memory sinks for the backside of the card if you go for an aftermarket cooler.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
If/when they come to Canada, they will do what ALL retailers do when they get here. They will look around and realize that they can offer horrible customer service and jack up their prices for no reason because for some unknown reason, Canadians seem to not only put up with this, they seem to thrive on it. As most of you know, I am a US citizen that moved here 4 years ago. I still have not adjusted to the complete lack of decent customer service at any level. I am not trying to pick a fight with any Canadians over this, but if they had a taste of what we usually get in the US, there would be a revolt.

Newegg into Canada to me is meaningless and is just another over hyped and over priced option for parts. NCIX will beat them down if Newegg doesn't have a physical presence inside Canada.