New rig in the works

madstork91

The One, The Only...
So I'm building my buddy a rig. He would like it to come in around 2-2.3k pre windows and new comp screen.

So far all that "has to be in it" is a DDR2 capable mobo, with a 4400 dual core or better and a 7900 gtx.

Any suggestions? (oh and links to newegg appreciated ;-p )

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, AMD still generally owns the gaming side of things. Even where Conroe beats the pants of AMD in extreme algorithm based tests, it falls short in gaming benchmarks.

If he wants AMD and AM2, the choices are not THAT easy right now. There are a few motherboards out, but it's hard to pick which is the best. There are some AM2 boards for $125, and others for $250. It's also hard to find a CPU that's appropriate. Finding an AM2 4400+, he will have a rough time. The best stocked AM2 DC is none.. it's hard to find any rate now. The most popular one will definitely be the 4000+ though.

7900GTX is a good choice either way. However, if he insists on going 4400+, he'd probably be better off going with a 4000+ and use the extra money to get two 7900GT's and SLi them.

As for ram.. I'd go for anything in the 2GB PC2-6400 area. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a kit though.

Foxconn and ASUS' AM2 boards are really, really good. The Foxconn would be my personal choice, just because it's a reference board.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Monarch (who was recomended by mat) has quite a number of proc by amd for the am2 slots.

I also ended up going with a 4200 amd, a single 7900 gtx, and i found ram about to those specs rob ;-p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds good man. I agree with Matt, Monarch has a good selection. As for the ram, if you happened to buy stuff with 5-5-5 timings, when you build it, try to see if it will run at 4-4-4. Most PC2-6400 ram I have used does, and it makes a pretty substantial difference over 5-5-5.