New Hardware!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
V23320_F_B2CCat.jpg

...or should I say, new footwear!

With my boy going back to daycare in September I'll have some free time to get rid of what I like to call house fat. While we were ripping the house apart I was getting tons of exercise and wasn't sitting around so much, but now that we've been moved in for a few months I've noticed that things jiggle that shouldn't jiggle or didn't jiggle before.

Doughy is probably a good term. Luckily I'm 6'3" so I can get away with a bit of extra weight because of my height.

I can't wait to start running again!

(at least until the snow hits :()

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice man! And yes, take full advantage of the nice weather that's left. How has the fog down your way been anyway? I know you're awful close to the water so in my mind each day is probably a 50% chance of fog, haha (though the windstream could easily make it a 0% chance).

It is good to work off the fatty assids somehow.;)

Haha!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Winter is Coming!

A treadmill might have been a better buy. (c;
Funny you should mention fitness equipment. I'm kind of torn on whether or not to sell the elliptical that my wife bought a few years back, but doesn't use now that she has a gym membership. It would come in handy in the winter, but the extra cash for Christmas would be nice.

I've watched people run in the winter time and it didn't look fun. Funny as hell, but not fun.
It is good to work off the fatty assids somehow.;)
Indeed.

I know that the healthiest person in the world could drop dead any minute from a variety of things, but I'd like to increase the chances that I'll be around for a loooong while. There's a little guy asleep on the couch that depends on it.

Nice man! And yes, take full advantage of the nice weather that's left. How has the fog down your way been anyway? I know you're awful close to the water so in my mind each day is probably a 50% chance of fog, haha (though the windstream could easily make it a 0% chance).
Not much fog this year at all. I'm getting spoiled and will probably expect every year to be like this one.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not much fog this year at all. I'm getting spoiled and will probably expect every year to be like this one.

You're treading down a dangerous path ;-)

Though, most winters have been mild lately, so I hope it keeps up.

madmat

Soup Nazi
You're treading down a dangerous path ;-)

Though, most winters have been mild lately, so I hope it keeps up.

I'd rather have a harsh winter and a mild summer than a mild winter and a harsh summer.

If I get too cold I can pile on more clothes. Can't invert that without an arrest.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Hehe nice!

Btw, how long do ur shoes last?! My last 2 Nike's bottom sole started to peel off after like 7 to 8 months of normal on and off walk n jog!! Not enough time for $75 shoes! :(

And my current Adidas shoes i have barely used and their bottom is starting to peel off to, have to give to the shoemaker to seal em!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
So I've ran the route below twice now, the second time I ran more than the first, but it has helped me realize that I am more out of shape than I thought.

Clipboard02-4.jpg

2.22 Km of running goodness. Now, didn't run that distance right off the hop. Oh no, that would have killed me.

Clipboard04-2.jpg

This shows my running and walking periods, but it's a bit misleading in that you only see how long I was walking for and not the distance that I walked although that is available if you log into your account and move the little man on the slider across the bottom of the screen on the first shot.

This one is for Rob:

My favorite new app is Adidas' miCoach. As you can see from the shots above, it tracks distance, time, average speed, elevation, calories burned based on what you input as your height, weight, etc and it will also keep tabs on your route if your phone supports GPS. It's also compatible with miCoach products, which I think are overpriced and not necessary.

It has different routines from easy to hard where a "coach" provides queues to whether or not you should pick up the pace or slow down as well such as the initial assessment that starts you off at a walk and then gradually cranks up the intensity until you're going flat out.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds like you have a good gameplan, nice man. I own Endomondo Pro for Android but that Adidas app looks quite a bit better (Endomondo also uses Google Maps to track the distance ran; it looked silly when I used it while on a treadmill). Definitely going to check it out, because it might do what I want Endomondo to do but doesn't.

Optix said:
a "coach" provides queues to whether or not you should pick up the pace or slow down

Now that is cool as hell.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It'll even provide encouragement via the voice of your favorite Police Academy Lieutenant, Harris...

"Move it, Move it, Move it!!!"

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
So, two weeks into running and week into doing Weight Watchers with my wife and I'm down 4lbs. It's amazing how much I used to snack. If I were cutting up some cheese to use in a recipe I'd cut off a chunk for myself to nibble on. It's certainly an adjustment. Having to keep your head on straight and not grab a bag of chips and measuring everything out so you can track your points, but seeing some progress gives me some motivation.

I started off at 223 and I'm down to 219. That leaves 19 lbs to go and I'll be at the weight that I used to be at in high school...for the first time since high school.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good to hear it man! I'd like to get down to the same target weight, but I don't have the height advantage so that still won't be ideal :-/

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Hey, it may not be your target, but if you're over and can get down to it there's certainly no harm in that.

I just finished my first "routine" which is going to go for 12 weeks (34 runs total) assuming the snow stays away. There was 5 minutes in the blue zone (low speed), 5 minutes in the green zone (average pace run), 3 minutes back in the blue, another 5 in the green and another 5 in the blue.

The only problem is that I think my blue zone is too low. When I look at my results it shows me in the green zone during the time I should be taking it easy. Unless I slow to a fast walk I'm going to fast and if I try to jog that slow all I'm doing is crashing down and it puts too much stress on my knees, or at least it feels like it.

I think I'll manually set my zones up a little bit.

It was a good run, but needs to be tweaked. I haven't run 5 minutes straight in a VERY long time.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The ironic thing is I -have- lost weight, but it's not due to working out. It's just been due to not eating so much junk - amazing how much of a difference that can make. Lost like 8 lbs in a single week not long ago because of it (easier given I am a fat ass).

Glad you have a routine going, it's definitely useful to stick to a plan.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I was thinking about how much common sense is involved in Weight Watchers. Portion control and fuck off with the snacking. If you have to eat something, grab some fruit or something.

It's just so easy to grab some cookies...

Gonna have to start a sub-site called Healthgage.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha @ Healthgage. Complements the other "gage" ideas I've had run through my head over the years.