New Folding GPU3 Beta for Nvidia Cards

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
For the folders amongst you that are lucky enough to have a GTX400 series graphics card and are into folding, a new GPU3 Folding client is now available as an open beta. All you need is the 197.45 drivers and the new client, of which there are a variety of versions, so be sure to get the right one. Currently, some problems have been found with 8800 and 9800 series GPU's, so best stay clear of this beta for now if you fold with any of those, but fixes are already being prepared.
folding_gpu3_400_052610.jpg
You can read the rest of our post here.

Last edited:

slugbug

Coastermaker
I would suggest the 257.15 beta drivers instead of 197.45. They add some extra options like no more dummy plugs required.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The 257 drivers have been getting a lot of press attention recently, but I think the reason they were not suggested is because of the beta nature of the driver. Beta software + beta drivers on new hardware... bit of a messy concoction to troubleshoot for the developers.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
True, but I believe they were recommended someplace... maybe I'm just getting confused.

257.15 updates the CUDA installation from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1 (vs 197.45), which is a small increase. Supposed to optimize CUDA performace a little bit.