New Chipset Heatsink?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I've installed an Arctic Cooler 5 on my 7800GT, and ever since I noticed that my chipset temps were a bit higher. I'd say 3-5C or more. I looked at the sink when I first noticed the increase and saw a bulk of the AC5 covering about half of the chipset fan.

Right now the cpu is at 26c and the chipset is sitting at 44c. I'd like to drop that down to mid 30's. I'm not sure how much chipsets are affected by the heat, but I do know cooler is better. I've been looking for a new chipset fan and came across the IceBerq 4 Pro. I'm just wondering if it'll mount correctly and if there would be enough space between the heatsink and the AC5. I'd hate to purchase it just to find it won't work.

If anyone's got a suggestion for another slim fan and heatsink I'd like to hear it.

Last edited:

werty316

Partition Master
The NF4 runs a bit hot but that Vantec cooler is better than stock if thats what you are using now. I think it is the same height as the stock one so you shouldn't have a problem.

Flipi

Obliviot
I have replaced the noisy chipset cooler on my Msi K8N Diamond too. It is a first step as it is a passive one from zalman and the temps are about the same, maybe a degree or two higher. The problem is not for now but later if I intend to use Sli it is impossible with this one as it is too high. It is a ZM-NB47J. The thing is that it gets prety hot although there are two 80 cm fans blowing in it's direction and plan to change once more...
So I am looking now at Akasa AK-210 and Thermalright HR-05 but the latter don't know if it is compatible with your bord and it does not use a fan. I must specify that I am trying to build a silent computer so my first interest is noise followed closly by performance.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I guess I've got the exception to the rule NF4 chip set.................:) I'm running the stock cooler with it turned down to where I can't hear it over the other fans in the system and it hasn't gone over 40c that I've seen. But my UFO case does run pretty much at room temp..............;)
7x120mm fans at 6v does keep things pretty chilly

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I had to turn my chipset fan down quite a bit of the way down on my DFI board because the damn thing became unbalanced and rattled slightly at higher RPM's. I am at idle right now and my temps are at 42*C which could be better but they certainly have been worse. When I did the SLi mod on the chipset, I went ahead an applied some AS5 for good measure and it seriously dropped my temps by 4-5 degrees celsius. Thats not a bad drop if you ask me. However my choices are limited at best if I want to upgrade my cooling solution because my top GPU is dangerously close to the HSF on the chipset. I will need a low profile water block when I go that route. Untill then however, I am perfectly happy being in the low 40s.

liqnit

E.M.I.
sbrehm72255 said:
I guess I've got the exception to the rule NF4 chip set.................:) I'm running the stock cooler with it turned down to where I can't hear it over the other fans in the system and it hasn't gone over 40c that I've seen. But my UFO case does run pretty much at room temp..............;)
7x120mm fans at 6v does keep things pretty chilly

i must say 7 x 120mm probably make the room shake ;)
what amount of noise you get ?